Avital 4103 Remote Start Install on 01 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
So I've purchansed an Avital 4103 remote start/keyless entry system, its a bit beyond anything I've done before on a vehicle although really I figure worse case scenario I blow some fuses and have to reshrink wrap and solder some cables. Needless to say I'm still quite a bit nervous about cutting into and messing with any wires on my truck let alone ignition wires. That said, first thing I'm going to do is a walk through talk through, as much for myself as anything, on where all the wires are going to connect. I have a 01 Ram 1500 Wiring diagram that I got from the forum.

WIRING INFORMATION: 2001 Dodge Ram
WIRE WIRE COLOR LOCATION
12V CONSTANT WIRE RED and PINK/BLACK Ignition harness
STARTER WIRE YELLOW Ignition harness
12V IGNITION WIRE DARK BLUE Ignition harness
SECOND 12V IGNITION WIRE BLACK/ORANGE Ignition harness
12V ACCESSORY WIRE BLACK/WHITE Ignition harness
POWER DOOR LOCK (5-wire reverse polarity) ORANGE/PURPLE In White Connector In Driver’s Kick Panel Coming From Driver’s Door
POWER DOOR UNLOCK (5-wire reverse polarity) PINK/PURPLE In White Connector In Driver’s Kick Panel Coming From Driver’s Door
PARKING LIGHTS (+) BLACK/YELLOW Behind Headlight Switch.
DRIVER DOOR TRIGGER (-) TAN In Green Connector Of Module Right Of Steering Column
PASSENGER DOOR TRIGGER (-) BLACK/LIGHT BLUE In Green Connector Of Module Right Of Steering Column
FACTORY ALARM ARM AND DISARM LT.GREEN/ORANGE Harness Coming Into Vehicle From Driver’s Door
Factory alarm arms with a negative trigger through a 644 ohm resistor. Factory alarm disarms with a negative trigger through a 1500 ohm resistor. Relays must be used.
TACHOMETER WIRE BLACK/GRAY (GRAY/BLACK (diesels)) Ignition coil Harness In Engine Compartment Running Along Firewall
DIESEL WAIT-TO-START (-) ORANGE/BLACK Harness In Engine Compartment Running Along Firewall
BRAKE WIRE (+) WHITE/TAN At Brake Pedal Switch
HORN TRIGGER (-) BLACK/RED At Harness At Steering Column
LEFT FRONT WINDOW UP LT.BLUE At Driver Window Motor Inside Door
LEFT FRONT WINDOW DOWN WHITE At Driver Window Motor Inside Door
RIGHT FRONT WINDOW UP BROWN/WHITE Harness In Driver’s Kick From Driver Door
RIGHT FRONT WINDOW DOWN PURPLE/WHITE Harness In Driver’s Kick From Driver Door

Obviously a lot of these wires I won't need for the remote start, for instance my truck doesn't have an alarm or at the very least if it does I don't know about it, don't use it, don't intend on using it and am thus not worried about it. I also won't be messing with the windows, I'm not a diesel, I don't need the driver/passenger door triggers, I don't technically need the tach since the Avital 4103 has a virtual tach (no clue how that works something about recognizing an increase in voltage that signals the alternator has started) but I might install it anyway, if I can find the wire. I'll post up a picture of the system and its install instructions that accompany it so you can follow around, and check my work if you so desire (please do so, a second set of eyes and minds never hurt). The complete install instructions are at http://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/IG/Avital/N4103_2008-07_web.pdf

avital4103quickreferenceinstallguide_zps654435af.jpg

avital4103remotestart_zps6ad655dc.jpg

Main Harness (H1)
So the H1/1, H1/2, H1/3, H1/4, H1/5 won't connect to anything (decided if I'm just going to cut the wires and then electrical tape them.
H1/6 will connect to the horn trigger Black/red wire in the steering column harness
H1/7 Not used, its for trunk release, I imagine you could use it for something, but I haven't a clue what you'd use it for on our trucks.
H1/8 Ground wire, I connected mine to a factory screw to the metal frame of the underdash.
H1/9 Parking light Black/yellow wire behind the headlight switch(wasn't as hard as I expected to get the wire up there, but people keep telling me you can access it under the dash, I just never saw where)

Heavy Gauge Relay, 6 pin Connector
1 12v Ignition Wire Dark Blue in the Ignition Harness
2 Starter Wire Yellow in Ignition Harness
3 Accessory Black/White wire in Ignition harness
4 High Current 12v Input Red wire Ignition harness
5 Second Ignition Black/Orange wire Ignition harness
6 Hich current 12v input Pink/Black wire Ignition harness

Remote Start harness (H3)
H3/1 Neutral Safety Switch Connect to toggle switch and then grounded
H3/2 Tachometer meter Black/Gray in ignition coil in engine compartment (or left out if using virtual tach, which I am)
H3/3 Brake white/tan wire at brake pedal switch
H3/4 Hood Pin Switch somewhere in the hood (or not at all, it isn't strictly needed, just used to shut down the system if the hood is open, I chose not to install it as they have a lot of issues with corrosion)
H3/5 Not needed

Satellite harness (Completely not needed but you can use it to hook up other accessories, I haven't a clue what you'd do with it but hey you can do stuff.)
1 status output
2 2nd accessory output
3 Second starter
4 3rd ignition, don't have a 3rd ignition

Door Lock 3 pin Connector
1 unlock 5 pin relay 1 pin goes to the pink/purple power door unlock wire in the drivers kick panel
2 empty not used
3 lock goes to 5 pin relay 1 pin goes to orange/purple wire in drivers kick panel

Following the 5-wire pin out found here 2001 dodge ram door lock problem

Last edited:
OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
ok so I FINALLY got to doing this, weather was awful and finally had a day when it hit 40 and wasn't raining.

CAM00093_zps1uvu54zg.jpg

I ended up not connecting the tach wire, haven't had any issues with over-rev or anything with it. Also didn't end up connecting the hood pin switch. I'll take more pictures here in the next couple days.

OP
OP
jsl6v8

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
I will say the one thing I didn't do and really wish I did, was first find where I wanted the main unit, then from there figure out how long I needed the wires, as it is I had feet and feet and feet of extra length that I ended up electrcial taping up, I might get motivated and either go back and redo the work to make the wires shorter, or just cut and crimp. Probably won't get motivated, its taped up, its secure, its hidden, it works, I like it.