DIY HID Install (pic heavy)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
So cant sleep, figured id try to help some guys out or werent sure about HID install. So lets begin.

So I got a kit from DDM tuning, havnt had issues yet, fingers crossed. Been probley at least 6 months. The kit you go with is your preference. Went with a 6000k 35w kit. H1 bulbs.

Just wanna say, I dont hold any responsibility for what happens while attempting a HID install, just my experience I thought id share with yall.

stock projector light.
IMG_0770.jpg

So first you wanna expose the internals of the light, and disconnect, the connectors.
IMG_0764.jpg

remove the stock bulb. Should be able to slide it out, might be a small clip holding it in.
b019e020.jpg

You wanna cut a hole in the rubber backing so you can put the wiring/bulb through it, my kit came with a grommet to use after the hole was cut. then you can try to put the HID bulb in the housing, if it doesnt go in with ease, stop, widen the slot. Mine was way tight, had to open it up with the dremel.
IMG_0768.jpg

Insert light, along with clips. insert spades to connectors, crimp.
IMG_0769.jpg
IMG_0773.jpg

run wiring to ballast, and mount ballast. I used zipties, and they have held up find, be sure to check fitment after a few rides.
Right
939472db.jpg
Left
f9867022.jpg

Ballast should have one side going to the bulb, and one side connected to the stock light power source.

make sure everything is plugged up and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Thanks man, took the pictures during install a while back so figured I'd post em up

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Cool beans nice work

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
yeah I plan on upgrading to his fogs, and maybe even 55w highs! who knows lol

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Here is a shot of what the light clip looks like
H7back.jpg

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I have DDM's in mine, been working great so far. I think with our 2nd gens we have less issues with lighting than the newer gens.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had similar results with the Ebay Projector lights. Better than stock, likely.
But the light pattern sucks compared to a real Xenon Projector setup.

Hence I went with the D2S Morimotos and a retrofit. :mullet:

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I have DDM's in mine, been working great so far. I think with our 2nd gens we have less issues with lighting than the newer gens.

yeah, heard lots of issues with them, but not one has been from a 2nd genner. so far so good for me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Good write up, i slap HIDs in just about all my rigs. I've got HIs and Lows in my truck. I also have the other style of the projecter headlights that you get off ebay. Same bulbs, and the back looks the exact same. I used Xentec HIDs, and they are working great, My old truck, my dads truck, and my current truck, all running Xentecs without an issue. Once you get them working, if they work for the next week they will be fine is my rule of thumb, and they have really easy swap outs if something isn't working. Ie, talk to the seller, great people, they work with you. if anyone is interested, i can let you know exactly who i on ebay to get mine, for $30, you can't argue with them working perfectly in all of my vehicles.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
if anyone is interested, i can let you know exactly who i on ebay to get mine, for $30, you can't argue with them working perfectly in all of my vehicles.

For that price I wouldn't even mind them not working right away and having to troubleshoot it lol...where you getting em from? :)