DIY Throttle Body Cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Found this, its from a 1998 5.2L Dakota, but they share the same throttle body as the Rams. Also the same as the 5.9L This is from LeadfootLuke

Parts list

- 8mm Socket for the Throttle Cable brackets
- 10mm Socket or necessary size for battery terminal disconnect
- 13mm Socket for the bolts that hold the Throttle body itself down.
- #25 Torx driver for the IAC, MAP, and TPS
- Adjustable wrench [in my case, for the airhat removal]
- CRC Throttle Body and Air Intake Cleaner [or similar cleaning product][/URL]
- Replacement gasket [good idea to have around, and about $2.50 from advanced auto or a similar place]

Procedures

1. Remove Negative Battery Connection. Tool: 10mm Socket if applicable
TB1.jpg

2. a) Locate Air Intake and Remove the Assembly.
TB2.jpg

2. b) Resulting Image.
TB3.jpg

3. a) Locate the IAC [Idle Air Control] and disconnect it
TB4.jpg

3. b) Locate the TPS [Throttle Position Sensor] and disconnect it
TB5.jpg

3. c) and Locate the MAP [Manifold Absolute Pressure] Sensor
TB6.jpg

3. d) Remove the Vacuum line as well
TB7.jpg

4. Disconnect the C-Clamps holding the throttle linkage. Note, the rear linkage goes to the Transmission [kickback] and the front two are for throttle and cruise control
TB8.jpg
4. a) From the furthest from the Throttle Body to the closest C-Clamp Connection.
TB9.jpg

4. b)
TB10.jpg

4. c)
TB11.jpg

5. Remove the Throttle Bracket Tool: 8mm Socket

5. a) The one on the side of the bracket
TB12.jpg

5. a) The two on the front of the bracket
TB13.jpg

6. Remove the Throttle Body Bolts Tool: 13mm Socket

TB14.jpg
TB15.jpg
7. Remove the Throttle Body and the Gasket

TB16.jpg
TB17.jpg
TB18.jpg

8. Remove all 3 Sensors from the Throttle Body. The torx driver is used to remove all of the sensors Tool: #25 Torx Driver
TB19.jpg

9. Resulting [Dirty] Naked Throttle Body
TB20.jpg
TB21.jpg
TB22.jpg

10. Cleaning the Throttle Body. Tool: Intake Cleaner of choice

Read the instructions on the can of cleaner as some have VERY strong fumes and will remove paint and stain clothing. With all of the sensor removed, liberally spray the CRC cleaner onto the areas you wish to clean. The stream essentially stripped all of the carbon off of the Throttle Body. Using a tooth brush and terry cloth I was able to strip all of the carbon I wanted off. Take the IAC sensor as well and clean that up. With the carbon removed from it's plunger and the area were it sits, your idle will smooth out. These are the results I wished to achieve. I believe 100% clean is attainable. I worked for about 95% because I will probably port/polish my Throttle Body in the near future.

TB23.jpg
TB24.jpg
TB25.jpg
TB26.jpg

Let the Throttle Body dry before re-installation.

11. Re-installation:

Follow the steps in reverse order. Add the New gasket before replacing the Throttle Body. Reconnect the battery and start it up to make sure everything was done correctly.