DIY White Letter Tire Cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke(MI)

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Chevy Blazer
Engine
4.3l Vortec V6
Why spend $4-$5 on store bought cleaner when you can do it at home with house hold cleaners? Here's a trick my girlfriend showed me (yes I know again....I think she's a keeper) that's never failed.

She showed me this trick when I bought some white wall cleaner from WalMart and it failed me right before a car show I was taking my Silverado to. You will need the following
1. 5 gallon pail with lid
2. stiff bristle scrub brush
3. Dawn Dish soap
4. House hold Ammonia
5. Baking soda
6. Water source, hose works best
7. Rubber gloves (recommended)

Steps:
1. pour a generous amount of dish soap into pail then Fill pail to 4 gallons or so with water
2. add a generous amount of Ammonia, and a handful of baking powder to the water,
3. wet tire you are cleaning
4. dip scrub brush into pail, ans scrub the white wall/lettering untill you see the dirt mixing with the suds. keep scrubbing for a minute or two, then rinse off. repeat if needed. Good as new!

when done, tire wet can be used as that finishing touch. place lid on pail and save for next time, Mix well each use. I got a year out of my last pail full, then used the nasty brown water as weed killer, those damn weeds never grew back :roflsquared:

This was done on tires that spent about their first 20,000 miles on gravel roads and where never cleaned them selves. The white lettering was almost as brown as the gravel road. took two cleanings to get them bleach white the first time. I clean them this way every time I wash and wax the truck.

Last edited:

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i would add the soap, Ammonia, and sodium bicarb to the water. not add water to them.

OP
OP
Luke(MI)

Luke(MI)

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Chevy Blazer
Engine
4.3l Vortec V6
You want to put dish soap in the pail before the water to get the suds. after the water comes everything else. I was tired and confusing myself lol

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
I just use Bleech White...lol
That stuff works really nice. My dad has an auto detailing business and he uses that stuff on the tires. Cleans em up real good, and if you do it everytime you wash your vehicle you can keep them lookin new.

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
Purple Power, straight concentrate works phenomenally on tires, both the sidewalls and RWLs.. Spray it on liberally, wait a minute, then dip a brush is soapy water, scrub it, rinse it. BAA-DOWW! Damned near squeaky clean. And you'll see the rubber oxidation will just roll off the tire, even before you start scrubbing.

works well on brake dust, too.

1/3 Purple Power, 1/3 Simple Green, 1/3 water works awesomely, too..

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
purple power is awesome stuff and much cheaper than simple green.

For RWL you can also use an sos pad

SMITHY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge Ram Quad 4x4
Engine
4.7 Magnum
I use purple power too. It works good on the sidewall even if you don't have white letter.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Im gonna have to try the purple power just for cleaning up the sidewalls, mine still have the paint marks on them from new....LOL

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Purple Power, straight concentrate works phenomenally on tires, both the sidewalls and RWLs.. Spray it on liberally, wait a minute, then dip a brush is soapy water, scrub it, rinse it. BAA-DOWW! Damned near squeaky clean. And you'll see the rubber oxidation will just roll off the tire, even before you start scrubbing.

works well on brake dust, too.

1/3 Purple Power, 1/3 Simple Green, 1/3 water works awesomely, too..

purple power is awesome stuff and much cheaper than simple green.

For RWL you can also use an sos pad

Same here.

I buy it by the gallon at Dollar General for $3