Dodge Dude's Homebrew Oil Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I found a DIY on a Cobra forum using an air/water separator for a shop air compressor.

Funny, I just found this thread. Do you remember the name of the poster over on that forum? More likely than not, it was mine! I posted it around like 8 years ago.

Glad to see it's still doing some good!

:waytogo:

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum

Mrnagasaki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey dodge dude, how often do you have to dump your catch can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I dump mine about every 300 or so miles, sometimes more often. I dump mine WAY too often simply because I feel like the way I have it mounted doesn't allow me to run it more full. I dump probably about 2 ounces out after that time span.

Mrnagasaki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cool thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sure! Since you just installed it, you're obviously going to need to check it more often to make sure it doesn't leak and to get an idea of how much oil it's sucking in.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thank you, sir. But I am merely the guy that adapted it for a Ram application. The real brilliance is that of HandsomeRob on SVT Performance. lol

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The real brilliance is that of HandsomeRob on SVT Performance. lol

Actually, I am "Brakelate" every where I go. Including SVTP. I believe "HandsomRob" was a toad that took my idea from my thread over at the now-defunct SoCalTerminators forum board where I was an Admin for about Ten years. I believe he did the same thing for my other Admin buddy's cool hide-away "no holes" bumper cap front license plate mount.

He just kicked it up a notch with the fancy braided steel hose and stuffing the Copper Mesh in the catch can and posted it there.

I did a write up on it originally for my '01 Mustang Cobra and later, my current '03 Cobra.

You guys are funny. My Legal Counsel may not think so, and we shall see what he says about squaring this all away. Expect a letter in the mail and a delete of this thread and hopefully a Ban from this board for copyright infringement, as I paid a ****load to have a Patent drawn up on it.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Actually, I am "Brakelate" every where I go. Including SVTP. I believe "HandsomRob" was a toad that took my idea from my thread over at the now-defunct SoCalTerminators forum board where I was an Admin for about Ten years. I believe he did the same thing for my other Admin buddy's cool hide-away "no holes" bumper cap front license plate mount.

He just kicked it up a notch with the fancy braided steel hose and stuffing the Copper Mesh in the catch can and posted it there.

I did a write up on it originally for my '01 Mustang Cobra and later, my current '03 Cobra.

You guys are funny. My Legal Counsel may not think so, and we shall see what he says about squaring this all away. Expect a letter in the mail and a delete of this thread and hopefully a Ban from this board for copyright infringement, as I paid a ****load to have a Patent drawn up on it.
lol Didn't know that. That was the first one I had found on it.

So, the question is now, why haven't you installed one on your Power Wagon yet?

Uhh.....Come_at_me_bro.jpg

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
:joke:

I don't give a Phock. I was just playin. Though I do think I had it up first. Sadly, we lost that forum board about two years back. A large group of SVTP members "defected" from there and created our own forum due to some real crappy, heavy handed Admin actions there by "Lightning Larry". Lots of old BS and Drama. SoCalTerminators, and now LASpeedGarage is the result of us taking it elsewhere while we were a pretty active SoCal Mustang "Terminator" site. Otherwise I could just link to it, and the date posted. And that really did happen to my buddy's license plate mount idea.

But it's all good. I am sure many people had the same idea right about the same time. Hell, they have probably been putting them on all kinds of motors for years. I just went looking (and found) a clean, affordable and easy "do it yourself" way, after getting sticker shock from the fancy Mustang Cobra / Mach1 parts suppliers who wanted up around $100 for a kit. At the time, I was hitting the track so often, I was cutting corners everywhere just for track entry fees and tires. That continued right up until my move out of SoCal.

I shouldn't have even mentioned it. It just struck a chord. But it's all good.

You guys do what you want with it. :waytogo:

Last edited:
OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I figured you were just messin, but I wanted to post a meme, and you gave me the opportunity to. :D

Sorry to hear your idea got jacked....then I jacked it from the jacker....or would that be the *******? Either way. You done good. :D

I still ask why you don't have one on your Ram though. :p

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Naaaa, I would be a punk if I even claimed it was my idea. I just remember doing a write up on it, and I think (at the time) I was the first (in the Mustang community anyway) to use that compressor moisture separator in that application. Sadly, my big write up on it from like ten years ago was lost as I said, when that Forum evaporated.

I just went and looked (took a while to log in, as I rarely, if ever went back there and forgot my old password) . That guy didn't even register on that forum until like 5 1/2 years after I had. Anyway, enough about that.

I haven't put one on the PW because as hard as I looked, I could never find any concrete proof that they do any real good. Sure, it makes you feel better to have a stain-free intake tract, and it is fun to tinker. I ran one on my N/A '01 Cobra and later swapped it to my '03 S/C Cobra. All the claims of Octane degradation, sticky stained internal bits and all of that sounded great to me... cheap easy fix, why not?

Well, unfortunately when I managed to blow torch a hole in a couple pistons by going lean under high boost in very high temps due to a weak charging / electrical system while spending an afternoon doing some insane -but very fun- high speed drifting and back to back top speed runs out on El Mirage Dry Lake, I ended up needing to tear down the motor.

In doing so, I still found some minor staining on the interior of the Plenum and upper manifold. Also, in some strange phenomenon, in both of those cars (which were daily driven and weekly raced either at the drag strip or on road courses, one N/A and the latter S/C'd) that no matter how often I cleaned the trap, it would always have a small amount of oil in it. Never more, never any less. So, if it was really sucking oil, it would fill up eventually or so I thought. Or, if it was unnecessary, it would never catch anything. But, like I said, in some strange way, it would always fill it right to the same spot, no matter how long I left it in there. I made multiple dyno pulls with both motors, with and without the can. I found no evidence of detonation or bad juju with either one. So, it just seemed a "cosmetic" issue... on the inside of the intake runners, where no one would see it anyway. AND, at the time, I was forced to stick to the extremely tough CA Smog testing. Had there been excessive oil making it's way into the combustion chamber, it would both gum up the catalytic converters AND show in both tail pipe sniffer result data and be evident in spark plug readings and exhaust system inner pipe color and visible in exhaled gasses.

End result, after the motor tear down, I came away with two conclusions; One- that an oil catch can isn't really doing anything other than making me "feel good" about it. TWO - if using any type of good, synthetic motor oils, you can run it waaay past 10k mile changes, and have no worries about sludge build up, excessive internal wear or anything. On the 4.6L 32Valve S/C'd '03, it was putting 430 to the wheels and was beat on HARD for 24k miles, and the internals were spotless, and there was no observable or measureable wear on any of the many moving parts. Mind you, this motor is tough on oil.... supercharged, high IAT temps, with more oil crunching bits than a normal motor, with four times as many Cams, chains, rocker arms dragging cams, and everything else, often under high lateral g-loads that briefly robbed bits of proper oil supplies.

There was literally NO wear on the cam lobes and the pan was spotless. So, modern oils really can triple the old rule of thumb 3k oil change routine without concern. I still stick to about 7500 mile changes on all my vehicles.

And as a side note, I've been modding, tweaking and tuning on internal combustion engines in various applications for decades. I finally have come to a point that I feel comfortable having a vehicle that needs nothing more than routine scheduled maintenance. It is under warranty, cost me a **** load of money and the pleasure of tinkering has just sort of faded away.

Long story short, I just don't believe they are necessary. A engine can live a long, happy and healthy life. All internal combustion engines have positive (and occasionally negative) internal crankcase pressure. Perfectly normal. Just allow it to "breath" and don't worry about it.

* As a matter of fact, going back to my '03 Cobra engine rebuild.... I never even put the catch can back on after I buttoned it back up just because it cluttered up the engine bay, and all the other reasons I mentioned. Now, at 75k, that little bugger is still running good and clean, putting 500hp/500ft-lbs to the wheels and I can't tell you how many road course laps, drag strip passes, WOT pulls in "roll races" as well as extended idle time in extreme heat and even 50k of stop and go daily driver / LA area commuting.

And I haven't ever thought of going back and putting one back on it.

So the PW will go without. I don't intentionally knock those that add one. I just think it is unnecessary.

Sorry for another lengthy rant. Hope that answers the question. :waytogo:

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
lol I was wondering why you hadn't responded. As far as why you haven't put one on the PW, to each their own. Every vehicle is different, I have found with mine that it definitely helps keep the carbon on the pistons down and intake much much cleaner.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
when you own a vehicle that has a intake that was designed to let a gasket start leaking and sucking in oi, keeping all the oil out that you can is a good idea.

personally i looks at it as a backup plan to the pcv valve failing. its not like it is getting any easier to get quality parts and vehicles will most likely always have pcv valves

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
^This. lol I'm thinking of doing one for the 76 because I can see the oil getting sucked in via the WHITE PCV valve. lol

BTW, Brakelate...go check out the first page again. ;)

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm not trying to preach to anyone.

Heck, it is cheap, quick and easy and something fun to do as a little project. Why not?

In my old age, I'm just trying to reduce my stress levels and live by the motto "It is better to not sweat the petty things, and just pet the sweaty things".

:ROFLJest:

Besides, I rarely ever am rough on my equipt. :flamingdevil:

Willow Springs 1000' Drags - YouTube