Dodge Dude's Homebrew Oil Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
BTW, Brakelate...go check out the first page again. ;)

Awww Dude, you didn't have to do that. I bet there is someone that will come along and (rightly) claim that they were there first.

NOT a big deal. I probably already sound like a Tool for even bringing it up.

I'm just glad the info is out there, and people have an affordable, clean alternative to the expensive manufactured units out there.

I'm not trying to take any business away from any of the outfits offering up those kits. There are several very nice, quality and trick looking bits that work just as well, while looking sweet and all of that.

But not everyone can throw down that kind of money on underhood goodies.

Thanks for the mention. You are a class act. But, it really wasn't necessary.

:waytogo:

I dug around on Youtube, and found my dyno pulls and some of the crazy dry lake action. Maybe I will post links in the "wheelin your other toys" thread wherever it is.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Awww Dude, you didn't have to do that. I bet there is someone that will come along and (rightly) claim that they were there first.

NOT a big deal. I probably already sound like a Tool for even bringing it up.

I'm just glad the info is out there, and people have an affordable, clean alternative to the expensive manufactured units out there.

I'm not trying to take any business away from any of the outfits offering up those kits. There are several very nice, quality and trick looking bits that work just as well, while looking sweet and all of that.

But not everyone can throw down that kind of money on underhood goodies.

Thanks for the mention. You are a class act. But, it really wasn't necessary.

:waytogo:

I dug around on Youtube, and found my dyno pulls and some of the crazy dry lake action. Maybe I will post links in the "wheelin your other toys" thread wherever it is.
I felt I needed to put that up there. I know I would be pissed if someone on this forum jacked my idea, so I wanted to make sure you got credit.

Not being able to toss down the 100 bucks for an aluminum can is the reason I set mine up, and it works well.

:peace:

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
^This. lol I'm thinking of doing one for the 76 because I can see the oil getting sucked in via the WHITE PCV valve. lol

don't think it would really make that much of a difference since you don't have a cat on it plus it is a old engine. it will most likely have a fair bit of blow by which would cause it to fill up the catch can quick.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
don't think it would really make that much of a difference since you don't have a cat on it plus it is a old engine. it will most likely have a fair bit of blow by which would cause it to fill up the catch can quick.

True, but it does run decent and I'd like to keep the carbon down so I don't have to change the oil quite as quickly.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So, tell me this;

Are you guys experiencing the same strange phenomenon that I was on the Cobra motor?

Where after emptied, it fills right back up to the exact same spot, no matter how long it is left untouched?

It is a real puzzle that mine would ALWAYS catch something after cleaning, but never any more, or any less. And I've never found it empty, either.

How can that be?

If it was really catching everything, it obviously would eventually fill up, or at least have varied levels, depending on how long and how hard (RPMs) you had been working the motor.

And if it were useless, and catching nothing, it would always, or at least frequently be empty.

Very bizarre.

Same with the late model Hemi's and you guys with the earlier V-8's ?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
the moisture in it could just be evaporating.
True, but it does run decent and I'd like to keep the carbon down so I don't have to change the oil quite as quickly.
you could try but i don't think it would make much difference since the engine is carbed.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So, tell me this;

Are you guys experiencing the same strange phenomenon that I was on the Cobra motor?

Where after emptied, it fills right back up to the exact same spot, no matter how long it is left untouched?

It is a real puzzle that mine would ALWAYS catch something after cleaning, but never any more, or any less. And I've never found it empty, either.

How can that be?

If it was really catching everything, it obviously would eventually fill up, or at least have varied levels, depending on how long and how hard (RPMs) you had been working the motor.

And if it were useless, and catching nothing, it would always, or at least frequently be empty.

Very bizarre.

Same with the late model Hemi's and you guys with the earlier V-8's ?
That's funky. I wonder if it's because of the SC? Mine just fills up...and fills up....and if I didn't empty it, it would likely choke itself. lol
the moisture in it could just be evaporating.

you could try but i don't think it would make much difference since the engine is carbed.
Possible. Or it could make it better since the engine is carbed. I just want the oil to stay cleaner, longer.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Naaa, this did it on the '01 Cobra, which was N/A, and I actually re-used the same device on the '03 which is S/C'd with the exact same result.

You are going to make me go and put one on the PW just to see what I get now, aren't you?

:buttkick:

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I forgot when the Cobras changed over to SC....03, right? I find that weird. My level does vary a bit.
And no, I never mentioned that. :p

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yup. Same theory, different type of canister. But they all work the same.

Interesting kit, but very complete and affordable.

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't really think I need it, but for some reason I want to put one on. It's a lease and I was looking at this one cause it was inexpensive. This is reversible for when I turn it back in correct?

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Depends on how you mount it. That one appears to be a solid mount setup that would mount to the firewall or inner fender. Additionally, I'd be wary of that tubing as I've seen that stuff break down and make a big mess.

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd definitely replace the tubing before I used it. That stuff looks like something kids would use in art class.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
that tubing look like it might melt with age. i don't know about you guys but my catch can gets hot when running

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
My can get's hot enough to burn the hell out of your hand. lol

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I may waste the $18 and see what I get for it. Good idea?

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If you want to. Just be warned that you will probably have to rig it knowing that you're driving a lease vehicle.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yes. Engine bay space in those trucks is pretty limited anyway.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452