How difficult?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I apologize but I couldn't find a thread about changing drums and shoes...

I have a Chilton Manual and have done many brake pad changes on disc brakes but after looking into changing the drums and shoes on the rear axel of my 01 4x4 I am thinking it might just be worth the trip into the shop to get them done due to the limited time I have with school and work

are they fairly difficult or are they just time consuming?

mda8569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Not difficult at all if you understand how they work. Sometimes it can be a pain getting the drum off if its been on awhile. Use the opposite side as a visual. Go for it!

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
Also make sure you have a good drum spring tool.. and read the instructions.. Makes it easy to take off/put on the springs.. I'd also recommend doing one side at a time, so if you lose track of where a spring goes you can reference the other side.

Should take less than a n hour for both I'd think.

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Not difficult at all if you understand how they work. Sometimes it can be a pain getting the drum off if its been on awhile. Use the opposite side as a visual. Go for it!

Honestly, I do not understand how they work... :emotions122:

Any threads on here or just look up some youtube videosm

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous

I think the best way to learn is to do a brake job. You can see how the system works.. Might be some animations/videos. Try searching for 'self adjusting self energizing drum brakes' that should come up with something..

mda8569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Yea, what he said ^. Dont fear the drum brakes, lol. Also, It is def easier with brake tools, but I have never needed them. You can buy drum tools cheaply at any parts store.

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
Hold on, this seems like a great opportunity to upgrade to disc... then you'll never have to learn about drum brakes.. surely they'll eventually go away anywho..

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Hold on, this seems like a great opportunity to upgrade to disc... then you'll never have to learn about drum brakes.. surely they'll eventually go away anywho..

funny thing is that I considered that:roflsquared: but the upgrade is sometjing to the tune of $400 plus and I don't really want to dump that much money into just rear brakes

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The best way to learn is to just do it. You will cuss and fight and be disheartened on the first side, and then on the second brake it'll fly together like you've been doing them for years. I've always done my brakes myself and that's the way it goes every time lol. If you feel more comfortable watching a video before doing it, definitely look it up on youtube. It's not that hard you just have to get your hands dirty.

CC12RamLove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^ what they said^ watch a couple different videos. Do one side at a time. Make a mistake and take it apart to fix it again. My first cart was a 1969 with 4 wheel drums, got to a point all four corners were done in under an hour. Not much has changed but would take me a bit longed now. Everything comes out and goes back in in layers (like and onion) slow steady, place the parts aside in order bust a knuckle putting back in. And you'll have it! You'll say next time I'll pay to have it done get a quote and be back in the driveway because you will realize its just that easy and so much cheaper.

ohiogrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 CCSB, 2011 ccsb, 2012 5500, 2016 5500, 2017 ccsb wxpress
Engine
4.7, 4.7, 6.7, 6.7, 5.7
Figure it out on fly, worst case they don't work properly, and how important are brakes anyway? Auto repair is a lot like health care, surgery PROBABLY isn't that hard, doctors just don't want us to know that.

In all seriousness, drums aren't insanely difficult, but there are a lot of small details that make the difference between changing parts and properly servicing your brakes. Lubricating the pivot points, putting the shoes on in the proper orientation and adjusting them tight enough for proper pedal height but not so tight that they drag are all important to pay attention to.

I would definitely get proper tools as well. Going at it with screw drivers and pliers will make you regret your life decisions.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Like everybody else is saying, it is a pain the first time but not rocket science. Another suggestion that I use for alot of jobs, take pictures with your phone before you start. Then you have a quick reference.

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
Like everybody else is saying, it is a pain the first time but not rocket science. Another suggestion that I use for alot of jobs, take pictures with your phone before you start. Then you have a quick reference.
And a dirty phone ;-)

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I avoid the dirty phone issue by having my wife take the picture.