How to install/remove intake 3.9/5.2/5.9

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Brought to you by RamTech
INTAKE MANIFOLD

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.
  2. Drain the cooling system (Refer toCooling System for the proper procedures)
  3. Remove the generator.
  4. Remove the air cleaner.
  5. Perform the Fuel System Pressure release procedure (Refer to Fuel System) Disconnect the fuel lines.
  6. Disconnect the accelerator linkage and if so equipped, the speed control and transmission kickdown cables.
  7. Remove the return spring.
  8. Remove the distributor cap and wires.
  9. Disconnect the coil wires.
  10. Disconnect the heat indicator sending unit wire.
  11. Disconnect the heater hoses and bypass hose.
  12. Remove the closed crankcase ventilation and evaporation control systems.
  13. Remove intake manifold bolts.
  14. Lift the intake manifold and throttle body out of the engine compartment as an assembly.
  15. Remove and discard the flange side gaskets and the front and rear cross-over gaskets.
  16. Remove the throttle body bolts and lift the throttle body off the intake manifold Throttle Body Assembly Discard the gasket
  17. Remove the plenum pan as follows:
    1. Turn the intake manifold upside down. Support the manifold.
    2. Remove the bolts and lift the pan off the manifold. Discard the gasket.
INSTALLATION

1. Install the plenum pan, if removed, as follows:
    1. Turn the intake manifold upside down. Support the manifold.
    2. Place a new plenum pan gasket onto the seal rail of the intake manifold. Position the pan over the gasket. Align all the gasket and pan holes with the intake manifold.
    3. Hand start all bolts.
    4. Tighten the bolts, in sequence Plenum Pan Bolt Tightening Sequence , as follows:
      • Step 1 - Tighten bolts to 2.7 N•m (24 in. lbs.) torque.
      • Step 2 - Tighten bolts to 5.4 N•m (48 in. lbs.) torque.
      • Step 3 - Tighten bolts to 9.5 N•m (84 in. lbs.) torque.
      • Step 4 - Check that all bolts are tighten to 9.5 N•m (84 in. lbs.) torque
  2. Using a new gasket, install the throttle body onto the intake manifold. Tighten the bolts to 23 N•m (200 in. lbs.) torque.
  3. Place the 4 plastic locator dowels into the holes in the block Cross-Over Gaskets and Locator Dowels
  4. Apply Mopar® Silicone Rubber Adhesive Sealant, or equivalent, to the four corner joints. An excessive amount of sealant is not required to ensure a leak proof seal. However, an excessive amount of sealant may reduce the effectiveness of the flange gasket. The sealant should be slightly higher than the cross-over gaskets, approximately 5 mm (0.2 in)
  5. Install the front and rear cross-over gaskets onto the dowels Cross-Over Gaskets and Locator Dowels
  6. Install the flange gaskets. Ensure that the vertical port alignment tab is resting on the deck face of the block. Also the horizontal alignment tabs must be in position with the mating cylinder head gasket tabs Intake Manifold Flange Gasket Alignment The words MANIFOLD SIDE should be visible on the center of each flange gasket
  7. Carefully lower intake manifold into position on the cylinder block and cylinder heads. Use the alignment dowels in the cross-over gaskets to position the intake manifold. After intake manifold is in place, inspect to make sure seals are in place.
  8. Install the intake manifold bolts and tighten as follows Intake Manifold Bolt Tightening Sequence - V-8 :
    • Step 1 - Tighten bolts 1 through 4, in sequence, to 8 N•m (72 in. lbs.) torque. Tighten in alternating steps 1.4 N•m (12 in. lbs.) torque at a time.
    • Step 2 - Tighten bolts 5 through 12, in sequence, to 8 N•m (72 in. lbs.) torque.
    • Step 3 - Check that all bolts are tighten to 8 N•m (72 in. lbs.) torque.
    • Step 4 - Tighten all bolts, in sequence, to 16 N•m (12 ft. lbs.) torque.
    • Step 5 - Check that all bolts are tighten to 16 N•m (12 ft. lbs.) torque
  9. Install closed crankcase ventilation and evaporation control systems.
  10. Connect the coil wires.
  11. Connect the heat indicator sending unit wire.
  12. Connect the heater hoses and bypass hose.
  13. Install distributor cap and wires.
  14. Hook up the return spring.
  15. Connect the accelerator linkage and if so equipped, the speed control and transmission kickdown cables.
  16. Install the fuel lines.
  17. Install the generator and drive belt. Tighten generator mounting bolt to 41 N•m (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
  18. Install the air cleaner.
  19. Fill cooling system (Refer toCooling System for the proper procedure)
  20. Connect the negative cable to the battery.
80012812.gif

8002fd36.gif
8002fd41.gif

80012821.gif

MvZiC MaN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L 295 CI Magnum V6 :(
Great write up man!!!!!!!!! Definitely gonna use this when I get my new gasket set!!!!!

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
nice write up man, very good! not alot of info for my 5.9, might be the fact that mine is a striaght 6 diesel though...lol not everyone is as lucky as me...

Mr. Baseball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
I know older thread but this is exactly what I have to do. Thank you. Only difference is I have to do it because I found a broken manifold to head bolt. Not thrilled. Found by accident resting hand in manifold while doing another service.

Any advice? Broken bolt is very front passenger side, been broken long time, head of bolt held in by rust.

Is leaking coolant, started right after drained coolant (got both block drain bolts out) and filled with new. I am 2nd owner. Coolant was bad and copper flakes-STOP LEAK. Wonder how much damage. Drained all coolant again and oil. Thanks for any advice.