Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 > 2nd Gen DIY

2nd Gen DIY

MOVE DIY Front Winch Bumper

This is a discussion on MOVE DIY Front Winch Bumper within the 2nd Gen DIY forums, part of the 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 category!
Very cool, and congrats on the new one...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1995
Engine: 5.9
Very cool, and congrats on the new one

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
Bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2007
Engine: 5.7 Eco Boost
Originally Posted by NightMares View Post

Here's some 3rd Gens

I want something like this, but with the prerunner bar.
SilverStreak88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001
Well shit guys, I'm slacking. The bumper has turned into another waiting project. I'll load it into my truck on Saturday and tear open the box at work while we're slow seeing as Saturdays we hardly have any customers. Planned on yesterday but the wife was convinced we'll do lunch and then pickup our daughters together, then yada yada yada. By the time I was free it was 11 last night so I can't make any more promises about doing it "after work"

As for the pre-runner, they have them. $495 with $75 shipping, and $75 if you want a winch mount with it too.

NightMares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

Alright, got started on it Saturday night. Got the wings fit and welded on. It went together easy, didn't fit 100 percent and required some slight modification to properly fit together, but all it all was very straight forward. There is hardly any instructions, some parts were labeled and some weren't, but nothing to cry about.

I got the wings tacked and ready to be welded by my co-worker, but after playing with it decided to just go for it. There's a few things that I'll have him finish up that I'll need a true welder for, such as the frame brackets, winch tray and shackle mounts. I don't trust my flux welder for safety purposes on items like that. But tonight I'll finish everything else up. All that's left now for me to do is weld the end caps on, mock and tack the light tabs, weld those in. Then mock and fit the winch tray, then tack it into place. From there this weekend I'll get the truck on a hoist and pull the factory bumper, then fit and tack the frame mounts on. Hopefully my co-worker will be free Saturday night to finish up the welding so I can get it sprayed. From there on Saturday night before heading home I'll run all my wiring for the lights, then come Sunday install the winch and lights into the bumper, then throw the bumper on the truck.

rammanriley20, MagSport and Bubs like this.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1995
If by chance could you measure the height of the new bumper? I want to see how much lower it hangs than the stock one
Bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

I'll try to get a measurement of it tonight. Halloween is tomorrow and apparently I'm booked every night for family stuff until Monday, so I won't be getting any work done on it until then.

I'm not sure about your style bumper on your truck, but mines the sport model and I can visually see it's actually narrower than what I have so I'll be gaining clearance with it both in the center section and better approach angles courtesy of the wings.
Bubs likes this.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1999
I'll try to get a measurement of it tonight. Halloween is tomorrow and apparently I'm booked every night for family stuff until Monday, so I won't be getting any work done on it until then.

I'm not sure about your style bumper on your truck, but mines the sport model and I can visually see it's actually narrower than what I have so I'll be gaining clearance with it both in the center section and better approach angles courtesy of the wings.

Awesome. I was kinda worried about that since these trucks already have big bumpers. So far what kind of mods are you going to do to make it work with the grill?

Old 10-30-2015, 04:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

From the looks of it, nothing ha. The bumper already has a rounded cut that looks like it was there for clearance on the grille on the non sport trucks so you can still get your hand under the grille to open the hood. From the looks of it I think my grille will slide down behind the bumper. If it does, before modifying the bumper I might look for some sort of heavy springs that I can mount on top of the radiator support. Then when you pop the hood from the inside of the cab, the hood raises more than just an inch to get your hand under the grille for access. If that doesn't work, or the grille doesn't fit, I'll just trim the opening larger so the grille tucks down into the bumper and cut a notch for your hand to get to the latch.
MagSport likes this.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:51 PM   #19 (permalink)

Something like this if you were looking at it from the top view.

Here's how it is now.

If it's not enough, then I'll just expand the radius on the cut already there. Like this.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #20 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1999
Something like this if you were looking at it from the top view.

Here's how it is now.

If it's not enough, then I'll just expand the radius on the cut already there. Like this.

Sweet I saw it coming along on the sticky in general. Keep us posted!