Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 > 2nd Gen DIY

2nd Gen DIY

MOVE DIY Front Winch Bumper

This is a discussion on MOVE DIY Front Winch Bumper within the 2nd Gen DIY forums, part of the 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 category!
At it again today right now!...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #21 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001
Engine: 5.9
At it again today right now!

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

NightMares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #22 (permalink)

Alright, I don't have a computer at home so I've been waiting to get back to to work today to do a full write up of this build. The bumper is yet to be installed on the truck, but it's complete.

My review on the bumper:

My initial thoughts of this bumper were slightly different than once I received it. I'm by no means disappointed, but I feel it should be noted by MOVE that if you don't have a ton of experience with welding and fabricating, that you might pay to have someone else build it. I wound up doing the entire thing by myself without my co-worker, and although my craftsmanship isn't top notch, I believe for my first true full bumper build it turned out better than I would have expected for myself to do. The problems I faced were it just didn't....fit. The wings didn't line up with the center section, it took a lot of pressure, bending, and tack welding to get it somewhat straight. I was concerned about it twisting while I was building it, but luckily it is thick enough steel that it still held true to it's shape. If it didn't line up right, then it had some heavy gaps, sometimes up to an inch thick at the ends. So it was a pick your poison deal, either fill the gaps, or tack weld it and bend the crap out of it to fit together. I filled the gaps.

Would I recommend the bumper? YES
For the price and ease you can't beat it. I'm extremely happy with the final outcome which I will update here in a second, along with a final outcome of the installation. Does it take some engineering? Yes, but that's the beauty of a DIY bumper, if you don't like how it looks, then change it.

Final notes:

For the Sport model trucks, my recommendation is to just order in a non-sport grille. I thought it would be a simple modification, and although the modification to get it work was indeed simple, it doesn't "fit" right. I hope with the bumper painted red to match it hides it a little more, but in the photos below it looks like the truck has an underbite like a bull dog. I followed my own diagram posted on the page before about trimming the bumper, and I can easily access the hood through the gap I made, but fitment wise it isn't 100%.

On a side note that will apply to everybody here, IMO pick your option, don't combine. 20" light bar opening, or winch. I fought for an hour trying to fit the light bar tabs on with the winch and I finally gave up. The winch comes up to high to allow the tabs to be welded where they need to allow the light bar to be centered inside the hole. I wound up scrapping the tabs and have decided to drill two holes in the bumper and mounting the light bar via black bolts on the outside face of it. Might not be the cleanest look, but it was better than having a massive gap at the bottom of the opening.

For those who have asked about dimensions, I haven't taken any yet. Sorry. However, easier for you to imagine, go outside and look at your frame. The bumper sits flush with the bottom of your frame horns. Measuring on my stock bumper that's in the back of my truck, I gained 3" of clearance in the center section, and as a rough estimate with the way the bumper tucks up on the wings I'd say closer to 5-6" in front of the tires. The bumper DOES not hang out any further than the front fenders, in fact it lines up perfectly with them. I'll get some numbers tonight if anyone still wants them though.

Enough talk. PHOTO'S!

First endcap welded on.

All the Goodies!

Truck Up For Bumper Removal

Lost something!

Inner Wheel Housings Trimmed For Clearance

Mock up to make sure it's straight, square, and flush!

End of Saturday

Moparftw likes this.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #23 (permalink)

Start of Sunday: Step One is MOUNT IT UP

Trimmed for grille clearance!

Rear sprayed with Upol Por 15 for rust prevention

Front sprayed with Upol 2k urethene primer

RAPTOR LINER!

And this is how it sits today. I'll check tonight when I'm off if the bumper is setup enough to start assembly. I probably won't be installing it tonight as it's been raining all day and supposed to as well tomorrow, and I want to make sure the liner is properly cured before exposing it to the elements.
MagSport likes this.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #24 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1999
Hell yeah that looks great Nightmares. This definitely looks like something I'll have to consider while I'm at home next summer. Good work and great write up!

Old 11-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #25 (permalink)

Thanks bud! I can't wait to get it assembled and installed. I talked to my co-workers at my shop and they told me it's most definitely dry, so tonight I'm going to mount the winch and then throw the bumper on the truck. I'll mount and wire the lights later this week or this weekend, but tonight is the only free time I've got to do the big part which is install and alignment. So, I'll be updating with pictures tonight once it's on.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #26 (permalink)

Got the bumper and winch installed last night. All that's left is to get the lights in and get everything wired up. I think it turned out alright, although color match wise I feel the bumper looks just a little more...pink. But eh, can't expect perfection on a bed liner.

Still got some final adjustment to do on the bumper alignment wise. Sitting flush on the drivers side at the fender, has a slight gap on the passenger side. Thinking I'll drop the drivers side down to match that way I got some space in case I come down on a rock or something.

Paint match didn't help the underbite going on with the grille, so come the time I do my aftermarket hood I'll be ordering in a non-sport grille in black to have painted to match everything. It's not too bad with the sport grille, in fact I think it looks pretty mean or "Pissed Off" and it turned out better than I was expecting it to with the red, but it still just isn't quite right.

Anywho, here's the 95% final outcome.

Better view of how it will look once everything gets re-adjusted

I will still update this thread once I get the lights in for the final outcome, will probably be this weekend, and I'll continue to update upon use of the winch and everything to see if it'll hold up to hard pulls and abuse. But for the price point, I will again say I'm pleased with the purchase.
MagSport and jsmith like this.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #27 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1999
Originally Posted by NightMares View Post
Got the bumper and winch installed last night. All that's left is to get the lights in and get everything wired up. I think it turned out alright, although color match wise I feel the bumper looks just a little more...pink. But eh, can't expect perfection on a bed liner.

Still got some final adjustment to do on the bumper alignment wise. Sitting flush on the drivers side at the fender, has a slight gap on the passenger side. Thinking I'll drop the drivers side down to match that way I got some space in case I come down on a rock or something.

Paint match didn't help the underbite going on with the grille, so come the time I do my aftermarket hood I'll be ordering in a non-sport grille in black to have painted to match everything. It's not too bad with the sport grille, in fact I think it looks pretty mean or "Pissed Off" and it turned out better than I was expecting it to with the red, but it still just isn't quite right.

Anywho, here's the 95% final outcome.

Better view of how it will look once everything gets re-adjusted

I will still update this thread once I get the lights in for the final outcome, will probably be this weekend, and I'll continue to update upon use of the winch and everything to see if it'll hold up to hard pulls and abuse. But for the price point, I will again say I'm pleased with the purchase.
That looks great man, is there enough room to get to the hood latch with the sport grill or is going to the non-sport the best option?
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #28 (permalink)

Non-sport is the best option appearance wise. I trimmed the bumper far enough that there's a decent gap between the bumper and the grille, so accessing the hood latch is easier than it was with the stock bumper. I mainly trimmed the bumper out that far to access the winch, the free spin handle wasn't the easiest to reach through the hole provided by Move, so I figured in a pinch if I needed to I could easily pop the hood and grab it from the back side. I'd assume with a different brand winch like a Warn that has the free spin farther forward on the winch it wouldn't be needed, but the Engo winch has the handle towards the backside requiring you to stick your arm in almost to the elbow to reach it.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:50 PM   #29 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1995
Engine: 5.9L Magnum
Just clock it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #30 (permalink)

I've already thought about doing that, but it'll interfere with the 20" light bar at that point.