Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 > 2nd Gen DIY

2nd Gen DIY

Oil leak in tail pipe

This is a discussion on Oil leak in tail pipe within the 2nd Gen DIY forums, part of the 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 category!
I noticed a couple of days ago what appears to be oil leaking out of my tail pipe. And now ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2017, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1998
Engine: 5.2
Default Oil leak in tail pipe
I noticed a couple of days ago what appears to be oil leaking out of my tail pipe. And now today my truck will not start. It is cranking but never turns over. How do I go about fixing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
jackson4212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

I forgot to mention it is a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.2

Old 04-30-2017, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make your head spin
Engine: Magnum 360
Oil in exhaust isn't good. It usually indicates a bad valve stem seal or a REALLY bad plenum leak.

When it won't start, goes giving it some gas help? do you get an RPM reading on the tach when cranking? Has the plenum repair been done? Are the spark plugs fouled? Is there a spark from the ignition coil? Cap and Rotor? Any engine codes?

Check out some of these and see what it does, get back with the results and we'll be able to help you better.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Originally Posted by dudeman2009 View Post
Oil in exhaust isn't good. It usually indicates a bad valve stem seal or a REALLY bad plenum leak.

When it won't start, goes giving it some gas help? do you get an RPM reading on the tach when cranking? Has the plenum repair been done? Are the spark plugs fouled? Is there a spark from the ignition coil? Cap and Rotor? Any engine codes?

Check out some of these and see what it does, get back with the results and we'll be able to help you better.

I can't really answer any of these. However I have had issues starting in the near past and giving it some gas worked. It did not work this time however.

I am pretty new at all this. How do I go about diagnosing the things you suggested. Please be as specific as possible.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make your head spin
Some of the tests are fairly straight forward, does the tach show any rpm when cranking? Take it to an autozone or something that reads codes for free, then record what they find and bring it back here. As for spark, you can buy spark testers, or you can pull a spark plug wire and stick a screwdriver in it, then hold the screwdriver a quarter of an inch away from metal on the intake while cranking and look for spark.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Some of the tests are fairly straight forward, does the tach show any rpm when cranking? Take it to an autozone or something that reads codes for free, then record what they find and bring it back here. As for spark, you can buy spark testers, or you can pull a spark plug wire and stick a screwdriver in it, then hold the screwdriver a quarter of an inch away from metal on the intake while cranking and look for spark.

I can't take it to auto zone because it wouldn't start, however, when I went outside to check the rpms I got the car to start. After it started I popped the hood to look under because it sounded a little funny. I saw smoke coming out of the rusted looking part on the side of the engine not sure what that is called. The weather was rainy and 46 degrees in case that makes a difference. Photo attached

Old 04-30-2017, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Originally Posted by jackson4212 View Post
I can't take it to auto zone because it wouldn't start, however, when I went outside to check the rpms I got the car to start. After it started I popped the hood to look under because it sounded a little funny. I saw smoke coming out of the rusted looking part on the side of the engine not sure what that is called. The weather was rainy and 46 degrees in case that makes a difference. Photo attached

I did some googling and it is leaking out the exhaust manifold.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

That is one crusty engine. An exhaust leak won't stop it from starting and running, it just might not run as well. You'll really want to get it somewhere to check the codes. If you're afraid of it not starting back up again, just don't shut it off. It doesn't matter what the autozone guys say, nothing bad will happen if you plug the scanner in while its running, the OBDII port always has power anyway. You will want to make sure the cigarette lighter works, usually that fuse also provides power to the OBDII port.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

That is one crusty engine. An exhaust leak won't stop it from starting and running, it just might not run as well. You'll really want to get it somewhere to check the codes. If you're afraid of it not starting back up again, just don't shut it off. It doesn't matter what the autozone guys say, nothing bad will happen if you plug the scanner in while its running, the OBDII port always has power anyway. You will want to make sure the cigarette lighter works, usually that fuse also provides power to the OBDII port.

I went to my stepfathers house last night and put the scanner tool on it. Surprisingly enough there are no codes on it. The check engine light was not on so I'm not super surprised. With the occasional startup issue I am surprised there aren't any codes. There is a large antifreeze leak somewhere I need to located, oil in the tail pipe, and no codes? Shouldn't there be a compression issue?

Old 05-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

It really depends. The heater cores are known to go out on these after 15+ years, another location to check is the drain cock on the bottom drivers side of the radiator, sometimes it leaks from there.

Its possible that you have a compression issue, I wouldn't rule it out until you do a pressure test.

When you pull the dipstick what color is the oil? does it look like it has any white on it? Next remove the oil fill cap and look at the underside of it, it should be pretty clean. If its covered in a white milky or cream like substance then you likely have coolant in the oil.