Quick and easy fog light mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine
6.7 CTD
Heres a quick and easy way to have your fog lights stay on with your high beams. With this mod you have 100 percent control over your fog lights.
dodgemod001.jpg
Here's your fog light relay.
dodgemod002.jpg
This is the specific slot on the relay plug that you are going to be no longer using, it is a control circuit that swaps from positive to negative depending on wether or not your headlights are on hi or low beam. You do not modify the socket, the picture is for reference only in case you get confused as to which spade on the relay you need to bend.
dodgemod003.jpg
dodgemod004.jpg
Take your fog light relay and gently fold over the spade that goes into the slot I pointed out in the previous pic. You will need to fold the spade far enough to clear a plug that protrudes from from the relay/fuse block. Bend and check for clearance.
dodgemod005.jpg
Using 14 gauge wire, a ring terminal, and a female spade terminal (or you can solder the wire to the spade on the relay) simply run your wire from the power feed post on the fuse block to the terminaly on the relay that you bent over. Now, so to speak, your truck always thinks the low beams are on and will give you complete control of your fogs. I recommend you add an inline 15 amp fuse between the battery post and the spade you have attached your wire to. There is really nothing to go wrong but its always better to be safe than sorry, I would have done it but I am out of in line fuses. Yes, I know this mod is illegal in most states but I am from and live in Montana so by nature we dont much care about laws :naughty:

OP
OP
oilfieldtrash83
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine
6.7 CTD
I dont see why it wouldnt

I doubt dodge changed the way they layed out theyre electrical system throughout the 2nd gen body. It only takes a few minutes to find out and the fogs and headlights are fuse protected so the worst you can do is pop a fuse lol.

OP
OP
oilfieldtrash83
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine
6.7 CTD
hmm interesting:D

I work on pickups on up to earth moving equipment for a living so i'm always messing with stuff, especially electrical. I didnt tell anyone in here but on top of my 2011 hemi 2500 I bought an 01 quad cab flat bed cummins 6 speed as a general use truck :********:

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did this mod on my Ranger and I love it. Makes my night travel so much better, especially coming from school on a narrow two lane road.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
nice write up! I popped this over the the DIY section for ya. ;)

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I did - similar mod on my 05. Nice write up

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hmmm i wonder if this will work on my 2012

OP
OP
oilfieldtrash83
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine
6.7 CTD
On my 2011 Ram I just used a five term relay and pre-made pigtail that you can buy from carquest.

If you ask for them specifically you can get a five term relay that have a mounting tab built right on them for easy securing. Simply pop out the drivers side headlight and mount the five term relay behind there, all the wires you need are right in that area (High beam wire, both fog light wires) you have to tie into both fog light wires on the 2011.

Solder your activator wire to your hight beam wire on the headlight pig tail, add a ground and fused power source to your battery (which is literally inches away) and your done. The fogs will automatically come on with high beams but will be fully controllable on lows just like factory.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Great writeup! I did something similar with a relay. I used a t-tap into the green high beam wire behind the headlights and another t-tap into the positive on the drivers' side fog. Same end result as you.

EDIT: I just read your above post closer and saw that's what you did. :D

OP
OP
oilfieldtrash83
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine
6.7 CTD
you should take pics of that:D

I sure can, it only took about 30 minutes to do and the difference in light was amazing. It was an absolute must now that I have the TDK bumper with PIAA lights, simply tied them into the fog circuit and was done :birgits_tiredcoffee I'll get some pics and post them in the 4th gen DIY today.

OP
OP
oilfieldtrash83
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine
6.7 CTD
Great writeup! I did something similar with a relay. I used a t-tap into the green high beam wire behind the headlights and another t-tap into the positive on the drivers' side fog. Same end result as you.

EDIT: I just read your above post closer and saw that's what you did. :D

Ya it works great but beware of T-taps, they are the devil!

OP
OP
oilfieldtrash83
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine
6.7 CTD
Why's that?

Because T-taps can and generally do actually cut the strands of wire that it has tapped into interrupting the amount of voltage running through the system (think of a blockage in a water pipe). The way a t-tap connects does not make a solid connection allowing corrosion to get in and affect how efficiently the power travels to your accessory (water pipe idea again). If you cannot solder the wire you are actually better off to cut the wire and do the add on using a heat shrink type butt connector, that way you are at least providing a solid crimp and seal on the wires.

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
good info! i'll get around to this next weekend hopefully...and i want your tranny. lol. my 02 CTD has the auto, but it will have a manual within 6 months if everything goes as planned. Oilfieldtrash83, keep an eye on the electrical section for me, gunna put up a thread tomorrow that i think you might be able to help out with....getting cab lights and i want to run them as running lights and blinkers. i'll start that thread tomorrow...but back on topic, i knew there should be an easy way to do this! thanks!