starter wont engage flywheel just spins on it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Ok so hello everyone i have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 5.9L magnum. I just replaced the starter and the positive wire going from the battery to the starter. i got the starter to spin and the solenoid to pop out but it is just hitting the flywheel and spinning on it. Any ideas would really help at this time please and thank you.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It sounds like the starter is bad or isn't getting enough current for the bendix to fully extend and contact flywheel.

OP
OP
F

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
The starter is hitting the flywheel and spinning on it. its just not going in the teeth on the flywheel. I pulled the flywheel cover back enough that I can watch the starter engage and spin but instead of going in the teeth of the flywheel it is spinning on it.

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
I think you're saying the starter isn't engaging on the flywheel? Sounds like the starter solenoid is bad/dirty.

OP
OP
F

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I think you're saying the starter isn't engaging on the flywheel? Sounds like the starter solenoid is bad/dirty.

how could it be bad if I can watch the teeth on the starter come out of the housing when I try to crank. the starter is operating fine, its just not engaging the flywheel. Its literally engaging, hitting flywheel (like on the face of the flywheel), then spins while still on the flywheel and not engaging on the teeth.

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
how could it be bad if I can watch the teeth on the starter come out of the housing when I try to crank. the starter is operating fine, its just not engaging the flywheel. Its literally engaging, hitting flywheel (like on the face of the flywheel), then spins while still on the flywheel and not engaging on the teeth.
The solenoid may not be moving all the way, damage to the solenoid or dirt. Or as noted about out of alignment, wrong starter.. It should be easy to figure out what's going on, if you can (not sure about the specific start) remove power to the starter motor and apply 12volt to the starter solenoid. That way you can get see what's going on, how the alignment is...etc.

OP
OP
F

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
if its aligned wrong does that mean the stud for the bottom nut for the starter is bent? Because the top bolt is in the last bolt hole on the bell housing with the bracket hooked inbetween so im pretty sure the top bolt is correct.

mda8569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Well, if the solenoid is nowhere near where its supposed to be something is wrong. If it looks short, than it could be the solenoid, as mentioned above.

OP
OP
F

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
i dont think it looks short because its hitting on the face of the flywheel, i think the stud may be bent but i havent gotten a chance to look at it yet.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn