Transfer Case Linkage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArmyBadger2727

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8 Gas
Hey guys, just wanted to post a good DIY from another forum I used a few years back. I did this with my previous truck and I'm going to do it with my current one within the next few weeks. The stock linkage tends to rust quickly, become brittle, and the bushings go to ****. Doing this quick DIY makes the shifting smooth and solid. Plus it will last the life of the truck. DIY below:

*NOTE*- Make sure you tighten just to hand tight, don't tighten it to hell. I tightened too much, and it caused it to bind up. Loosening the ends made it good to go!

Back in November of 2011, while I was in the process of changing my oil, I discovered the shift linkage between the lever and my transfer case on my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 had fallen off. Upon looking into it, I found the dealership fix would be $40 for parts and I can install them myself. Since the grommets wore out once, I am sure they would do so in the future. Not wanting to do this again, I began looking for a permanent fix. In searching the internet, I came to dodgeforums.com and found many threads with the same issue. I found a fix by one of the users on this site, but it involved shaping a piece of steel to fit, so it was put on the back burner until I found someone with the tools to shape the metal or found a different fix. Today, 01/14/2012, I found a way to fix it and with parts all from Lowes. I am including the part numbers I used, as well as a diagram of how they are arranged when installed and a picture of the completed instalation. The price listed for the parts are for the total. Total time to install might be around 30 minutes tops.

Tools needed:
A 3/4" box end wrench, a 3/4" socket, a ratchet, and a short extension for the ratchet.

Parts & Lowes Item number:
(2) Hex Bolts 1/2" x 2" (( 63329) These are loose in a tray. $1.08)
(4) Flat Washers 1/2" (( 63309) These are loose in a tray. $0.80)
(2) Hillman 1/2 x 5/8 x 1 Steel Spacer - Zinc ((880419 or 137142) These are in one of the blue drawers at Lowes under specialty hardware. They come
1/bag. $3.02)
(1) HM 5/8" SAE Flat Washers (( 25602) These are in a little red bag and come 2/bag. $0.98)
(4) HM 5/8" Helical Lock Washers (( 63412) These are loose in a tray. $1.12)
(2) Hex Lock Nuts 1/2" (( 63406) These are loose in a tray. $0.98)
(1) 3/8" x 10-1/2" Turnbuckle - Zinc (( 22233) These are loose in a box on the same aisle as the door knobs in the back half of the aisle on the right
from the front of the store. $3.27)

Parts Total: $11.25 (This value doesn't reflect the price with tax because I had to make a few trips inside to swap parts out before getting it right.)

Since the turnbuckle can be adjusted, I won't tell you what length to set it at. Just adjust it as needed. I put everything together before crawling under my truck. Then it was a simple matter of unscrewing the lock nut and then pulling washers off, threading the bolt & spacer through the hole in the transfer case connection, then putting the washers back on the bolt and hand tightening the lock nut. Then I repeated the same procedure on the shift lever, but flipped the direction the bolt is facing. This must be done so that you can shift into 4 low. Running the bolts facing the same direction results in clearance issues with the transfer case housing. After both ends were connected, I got in my truck and checked to make sure the linkage was working right & it was, so I crawled abck under my truck and tightened the nuts & bolts with hand tools and that was that. While talking with one of the people working the hardware department, he advised me that the steel might pull the threads from the aluminum turnbuckle. While that might be a possibility, I don't forsee a problem with this, but I will check and see how it is holding up in a month.

Attachments

• Transfer Case Linkage.jpg
    Transfer Case Linkage.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 2,082
  • Transfer Case Linkage Parts Diagram.jpg
    Transfer Case Linkage Parts Diagram.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 928

Rebelemtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Thanks! I’ve gone thru 2 of dodge ome. And the 2nd one didn’t last as long as the original one. Got all the above parts you listed out today and just got done fixing my truck and I know it will last this time!