Upper Dash Panel Replaced!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brewman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7L Hemi w/ eTorque
I recently completed the replacement of the upper dash on my truck and I wanted to share a few photos.

While I've read about people replacing the upper dash panel without completely pulling the dash from the truck I don't see how that's really possible and certainly would be much more difficult. It took me a couple hours to pull the dash since this was the first time I've done it, but I feel I could do it in under an hour now. I've got lots more pics, but for the most part it's a pretty straight forward process. I followed the steps in the factory service manual. and it was tedious but certainly doable.

Here's a link to the relevant pages from the 1997 factory service manual

Here's the dash prior to removal. I had already pulled the bezel and disconnected from the cowl.
DashReplacement_0005.jpg

All gone
DashReplacement_0014.jpg

I fixed some of the broken plastic support structure with 1/2x1/8 aluminum strip epoxied in place to add strength
DashReplacement_0028.jpg

DashReplacement_0030.jpg

Attach the side molding and side defrost vent tubes to the dash panel before attaching the dash panel to the dash (do both sides).
DashReplacement_0039%20(annotated).jpg

Using a dremel tool I had to widen the slots on some of the duct connetors in order to get them to attach to the dash defrost vents without having to put pressure on the dash panel to make it fit. I would not be surprised to find that many dashes from the factory crack because the plasic panel is stressed to make it fit the ducting.
DashReplacement_0045%20(annotated).jpg

Don't forget to transfer your VIN from the old dash
DashReplacement_0048%20(annotated).jpg

Here's the finished product
DashReplacement_0050.jpg

DashReplacement_0057.jpg

Last edited:

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
Nice write up!!! I need to replace mine too, although it isnt as bad as I suspected as I have now had a chance to see other second gen dashes, LOL...I am just gonna opt for a glued on cover for mine.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Nice info. Mine has one small crack in it, but it still drives me crazy. I'll just replace it if I have to replace the heater core

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Good writeup!!! We needed something like this! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
B

brewman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7L Hemi w/ eTorque
Very good job! Surprised you didn't go ahead and replace the heater core at the same time.

I had thought about replacing both the heater core and evaporator, but I'm not having any problems with either one so I let them be. After doing the dash replacment I think I can pull it again in about an hour, and there's enough stories about leaky replacement heater cores out there that I decided to wait until it's necessary.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Very good write up and welcome to the site bud.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
By chance could you tell me where you got your new dash at?

fonzyn75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Looks good! I gotta do this to my 2000 LOL

kawiultra99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 CID
Great job! What was the toughest part of the job? I need to do mine.

tfink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great Job! Getting ready to do the same thing. Picture are very helpful. Did you have to remove the steering wheel. I couldn't tell from the pics. Also, any service manual (pdf)?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can just lower the steering wheel out of the way.

However, if you're in there, you can buy a delrin(?) bushing to go in the column and clean up some of your slop. I'll be damned if I remember where I bought mine from, but it helped a lot in my '00 Ram.

tfink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad to hear the wheel does not need to be disassembled. RE delring bushing - steering wheel operated smooth and quiet (Knock on wood), but will keep that in mind while the dash is out. Any other suggestions of things to replace while dash is off. Thinking about cleaning out vent system.

RamPart3.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Love your pictorial progress depiction of the project and your explanation! Great job and looks great!

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lmc and ebay offer them, I just replaced mine with a lmc kit. Super hard to install with the windshield in but it makes such a difference on looks and cabin noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk