01 ram 1500 5.2 46re Tranny issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firefighter113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
Let me start of by saying my name is Beau. First time user here, and that I hope this is the correct spot for this post. I usually can find what I need on google, but this is not the case today/last night.

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 318 Laramie lwb, Club cab with the 46re tranny. I was driving down the road yesterday and the truck either slipped out of gear or down shifted to 1st or 2nd gear. It revved up a little bit and I let off the gas. After I pulled over, I shut it off, started it back up and tried again. Wouldn't budge. I put it in neutral, park brake on, checked fluid.. it was clean and at the correct level. Never had any issues before with thus truck. It's got about 200,000 on it. Oil and filters changed fairly regularly. Last one was about 15,000 miles ago on the trans.

What could be my issue? I know you cannot diagnose it on the Internet, just ideas for me to look at. It still makes no noises, no whines, nothing. Just don't pull. The only gear that works is park. One time it attempted to pull in 1st and just slipped again. If I Rev to ~2000 rpm and shift from park to reverse or drive it drops Rpms like it would go into gear but then picks them right back up without moving the truck.

Also, it did throw a code but as I was frustrated and being irresponsible, I cleared it in hopes that the code would take it out of a limp mode and allow me to drive, and I cannot remember what it was. Said something about TCC.

Once I get the truck back to the house in a little bit I will pull the pan and see what that looks like.