06' ram 2500 4x4 w hemi/wheel hop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kd7oir

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Driving down the freeway at 70, hit a pothole and it started. Couldn't get it to stop. Didn't affect control at all but I could feel it in the wheel. It wouldn't stop till I got it down to around 30. New shocks and stabilizer and double checked and everything is still tight with the shock install. I've done reading about this issue and answers are all over the place. Steering box. Steering stabilizer. Ball joint/king pin. (This could be my problem. I have a ball joint going) shocks. Bushings. Seams like there was alot of answers but no cures. I'm already planning on replacing ball joints, bearings, u-joints. Breaks and routers.
So my question is, will this cure the wheel hop? Or do I need to look at something else while I have the tires off?
Thanks
Shawn

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess while you have the tire off check and see if hitting the pothole might have cause the belts to separate. Hitting a pothole at 70 is a little rough on the suspension system. I guess you could have busted the shock and it wouldn't stabilize the tire until you lowered the speed enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

kd7oir

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I'm parking it till I can get to it. Are there any bushings that might be the culprit? The truck is stock with around 75k on it

OP
OP
K

kd7oir

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I don't mind spending the money on something. I just don't want to tear it apart more than once. It's only happened the one time but I don't want it happening again.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you check the tire to see if the belts seperated or maybe a bent or warped rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

kd7oir

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Tires are at 50% but are still good. Rim is good. .... what kind of bushing does the track bar have? How hard are they to replace and how common is it for failure? I would think a track bar would give bumpsteer and during a wheel bounce it would affect control. This had no affect on control. I'll more than likely replace anyway.
sorry for the delay in response. I'm having problems with taptalk.

OP
OP
K

kd7oir

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Also I'm not sure if this is related but the truck has a habit of the read end kicking sideways after hitting a bump at highway speeds. The shocks were wore so I figured replacing them would stop that. After $300 for quantity shocks it still does it, though it does ride better. I'm figuring that might disappear after I'm done with the front end and have it aligned. If not that's the next gremlin to tackle.