1st oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2017 Ram 5.7 that just turned over 1000 miles. I'm getting ready to get rid of the factory oil. First off, does Mopar use any type of break-in additive that should remain in there for x amount of miles before first oil change? Second I'm going to use Pennzoil so should I change with PYB now and run a couple more thousand miles then change to PP which is going to be the oil I will use, or should I just go ahead with PP now ?

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I would run the factory fill to 3000 and then run the PYB for another 3-6k. After that a full synthetic oil with a Royal Purple oil filter and your golden. Congratulations on the new truck, what gears do you have?

OP
OP
Ramnewbie

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not trying to be smart here Hammerhead but other than ones that turn I couldn't tell you, never investigated to see what the rear gear is but it seems to be a fairly high gear. Of course with the 8 speed it's really hard to tell. I'll have to figure it out and get back to you.