2005 5.7L o2 sensor confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Louis_Jacobson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So I'm a prolonger of fixes...in January I took the truck chasing bunnies on a snow day, we "ding" no oil psi no battery gauge and check engine light, well had snow all up in to hood, but cleaned and truck tan fine all gauges working, but I'm sick of the engine light so I crawled under today and found that the pass side one of the pre o2 sensors the 4 wire ones don't have any wires ...must of ripped them out back in January, but I can't find where the plug is or where the wires are...nothing hanginga19862e71166c247bcc7c791279c7f46.jpg
Any help in pointing where to look it's rainy today and just want a mental idea before I crawl around

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check the harness that runs back to the trans, if I remember right it's bundled with that.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
It's a poor picture, but the ground is wet and it's getting dark.

IMG_0114_zpsp1wkavd0.jpg

This is the passenger-side upstream 02 plug on a '05 2500 with 5.7/NV4500. It's probably identical, but your truck may be somewhat different. It's bundled with the downstream harness and they converge as seen about midway between the catalytic converter and exhaust manifold, from what I can tell.

You'll need a repair kit, so LOOK HERE. I had to replace my downstream harness after the retainer clip broke and it melted on the exhaust pipe.

What you get is four wires ~24" long each integral with the plug and heat-shrink. It also has some brass crimps you put around the twisted wires, but the instructions state to solder the connections.

The wires themselves aren't color-coded to the factory harness. IIRC, there is a diagram of the face of the plug denoting which color feeds each plug quadrant. You'll have to find the damaged end and remove enough tape to sort out the colors. The kit itself was ~$25.00 and I found it by searching the link I provided and looking up that number online.

It sucks to solder in such a contorted position, but it really is a superior bond. After I soldered/ heat-shrunk wraps, I took some plastic tie straps and "splinted" the repair to keep the wires from flopping and breaking the solder joint. I wrapped it all with friction tape and it's indistinguishable from factory appearance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Louis_Jacobson

Louis_Jacobson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the info guys, I got it sorted out

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk