2013 Cummins engine swap into a 2010

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe mama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
I'm working on a 2010 Ram that has a worn out Cummins (298,000 Miles) and have access to a 2013 engine, trans, harness & ECU. Will this drive train work in the 2010? Will the trans, harness and sensors have to be swapped?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would yank the 2010 engine and compare it to the newer one just to see if anything changed. Use your original or replacement 2010 sensors so it plugs into the harness with no issues. As far as I know there weren't any physical engine changes, but they like to muck with wiring colors. Should run just fine on your original computers.

OP
OP
J

Joe mama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
Thanks HemiLonestar! Going to start on it with the next 2 weeks. I'll let you know what I find.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Using the ECU from the donor will cause MAJOR headaches since there are so many other computers that communicate with the ECU and are all Vin locked to each other... Best thing is to do HemiLonestar suggested... I'm guessing they are not too different. It is very likely the items that are different can be donated from the 2010 motor to the 2013 and interface with the original ECU...

Trust me, bee down this road with bad advice on my 07 and it was a mess to get the ECU's cleaned up and reflashed... we had to completely rebuild the programming and how it interfaced with the CANBUS system... it was a *****!

OP
OP
J

Joe mama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
Thanks again! I haven't seen the 2013 engine/trans yet. It's at a local bone yard and it is suppose to have 50,000 miles.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good way is to talk to a local parts store and see how some of the parts compare and if they span 2010 to 2014 or so... I'm guessing they are the same up to when they started using DEF.. I haven't been following the newer 6.7L to much so I don't really know the ins and out of them... but you can also compare parts online... like injectors, sensors and such... if they are all the same part number between years, its more than likely you will have no issues.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did they change the transmissions between 10 and 13? If they did you'll have to use your original trans.