4-4 not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drewbacca72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2004 1500 5.7 4-4. The gear shifter for 4-4 just goes up and down. It does not engage into 4-4. Why is it doing that? Is this expensive to have fixed? Any help would be great.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
I never check in here, so this might be too late. Next time, post in the 3G forum and you'll get more and faster response.

If the floor shift is loose, you've lost the linkage from shifter to t-case. There are plastic grommets that press into an eye on the bottom of the shifter and in the lever on the t-case. The linkage then is pressed into the grommet.

I had this happen and didn't find out until I needed 4X4. I got the parts and cross-drilled the linkage ends and safety-wired it to linkage. Parts are probably ~$50, and you could always cobble something together.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I never check in here, so this might be too late. Next time, post in the 3G forum and you'll get more and faster response.

If the floor shift is loose, you've lost the linkage from shifter to t-case. There are plastic grommets that press into an eye on the bottom of the shifter and in the lever on the t-case. The linkage then is pressed into the grommet.

I had this happen and didn't find out until I needed 4X4. I got the parts and cross-drilled the linkage ends and safety-wired it to linkage. Parts are probably ~$50, and you could always cobble something together.

Yep this^^, have heard of this happening more than a few times.