Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rta1401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New to dodge. Here is my story got a great deal on a 01 Dakota with a 4.7L. After some. Ignition work and now it starts. Major oil leaks and some knocking noises. The knocking travels seems like timing chain slap then it goes away then some lifter ticking coming and going then it sounds like it's in the lower end. Once started and put in gear holding the brake there is no noise until you throttle up any info is greatly appreciated.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the forum from LA ( Lower Alabama) . May I ask how many miles does it have on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

rta1401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah it's got 142xxx miles 4x4. I am mechanically inclined I just don't know where to start

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The 4.7L engine is known for poor oil passage drainage. I suspect the engine has a LOT of sludge in it and the valve train may be pretty gunked up.

142K on a stock timing chain may be near the end of its life as well.

I'd pull the engine and start tearing it down.

OP
OP
R

rta1401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ran seafoam in it for about an hour. Resealed valve covers as they where pouring out changes oil and filter. Did get a lot of gunk out of the engine. This noise travels. That's why I can't pin point it. I have a short video of it but don't know how to post it. At one point yesterday I put the truck in gear and with foot on brake the noise stopped so I was thinking thrust bearring. Then it sounds like a rod knock when you hit the gas. Then it changes to the top end like a bad lifter then timing chain slap

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
a few months ago i traded in an 04 grand cherokee limited with 230000 miles on it. did have an oil leak and after ruling out all probable causes, it was determined it needed new valve seals.