Any Jeep Wrangler owners here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

REDE2GO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm just curious if anyone on here owning a RAM also owns a jeep wrangler unlimited. I am in the process of purchasing one and have no plans what so ever of getting rid of my RAM but I am getting a lot of heat why would I have 2 trucks in my driveway. I planned on lifting my RAM but I have been taking it out to restaurants, wineries etc. and I figured it would be hard for my wife to get in.

The jeep that I'm purchasing is lifted with 37s has the hard top and soft top leather seats, the works. It will be hard for my wife to get into this vehicle but I figured it will be the fun vehicle. I am trading in a Challenger SRT8 because I don't drive it anymore and just sits in the garage, which was the fun vehicle before. When I tell friends I'm doing the trade they look at me like I'm crazy saying it makes no sense. I'm just curious if anyone has both and regrets making that decision.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I had an 05 Rubicon that we purchased in 2009 and purchased my 2012 Ram in August of 2013. I sold the Wrangler in May to buy another Ram RCSB (it needed to fit in the same garage the Jeep did). If I was nuts for owning a lifted Jeep and a lifted Ram I guess I'm doubly nuts for owning two lifted Rams.

Who cares what anyone else thinks? I've loved 4x4's since I was a kid and have brought my wife into my line of thinking. She loves driving lifted vehicles and I couldn't give her a brand new car if I tried.

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My wife drives a 2011 JKU. Just leveled on 34’s. It’s got no juice, it has the 5 speed (I believe) and the V6 engine. If I were you, I’d wait until the 2018 come out and get it with the 8 speed and whatever engine options they will have. I believe they will have a diesel option too. She has 34’s and a level and it drinks gas like my truck did, 6” lifted on 35’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck got totaled this summer and I’ve been toying around with the idea of getting the new 2018. With an 8 speed transmission, more fuel efficient and tons of stuff to do to it, it’s a strong contender...

trip1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I own a 2012 ram 1500 a 98 wrangler tj a 2015 dodge dart a 2011 prius a 2014 Polaris 850 touring a 09 Yamaha raptor 700r a 88 ford bronco.... ownn whatever you want it's your stuff my dad has 5 trucks 2 don't work and not for parts either

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

tool.man001

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Tradesman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was a 2012 jeep Wrangler owner, I traded it in on my 2017 ram 1500, It was fun to drive with out the doors and top off until caught in the a rain storm, then the problems began with the electronic controls (not under warranty due to water) on the steering wheel, the wipers would come on with the turn signals (had a mind of its own). Yes i will miss my jeep but I have more power now to pull a trailer with my 1500 (Firewood cutting) I am getting the same mileage with my 5.7 hemi VS 3.6

Go and check out some Jeep forums Jeep Wrangler Forum - Jeep Wrangler Owners Community and dive into reading the posts there, A lot of good information there, and the trouble some owners have with there jeeps.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Have both my '17 Ram 1500 and '12 JK Rubicon. Jeep is heavily modified, also my wife's DD. 2.5" Rock Krawler long arm lift, RK front suspension and steering components with tie rod flip, C gussets, sleeved axle tubes. 4.88 geared with detroit lockers, full Spyder skids, Artec axle trusses, anti-rock sway, 35's. Even with all the added weight it still moves pretty damn good. Only gets like 12-14 mpg, on a good day, though. lol

Jeeps are finicky if you don't take care of them. Plus they are prone to wear when modified. Like, adding a lift, you'll wear out of the stock drive shaft CV's in short order. Adding larger tires, blown ball joints.. Stock front track bar is flimsy as hell, so lifting and larger tires you'd want to replace that as well.

Point is, in stock form, are still really fun and will last a long while if well maintained. Once you start modifying it's like a domino effect, one upgrade leads to another due to failure or weak stock parts. I spent 3 years building mine and it's like a damn tank now.

Last edited:

Wiggleroom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I wish ! haha one day ill have my ram and a lifted JKU. good luck OP

digitalbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm just curious if anyone on here owning a RAM also owns a jeep wrangler unlimited. I am in the process of purchasing one and have no plans what so ever of getting rid of my RAM but I am getting a lot of heat why would I have 2 trucks in my driveway. I planned on lifting my RAM but I have been taking it out to restaurants, wineries etc. and I figured it would be hard for my wife to get in.

The jeep that I'm purchasing is lifted with 37s has the hard top and soft top leather seats, the works. It will be hard for my wife to get into this vehicle but I figured it will be the fun vehicle. I am trading in a Challenger SRT8 because I don't drive it anymore and just sits in the garage, which was the fun vehicle before. When I tell friends I'm doing the trade they look at me like I'm crazy saying it makes no sense. I'm just curious if anyone has both and regrets making that decision.

2015 2500 crew cab with a long bed and a 2010 Wrangler 2 door. I don't care what kind of Ram you have, the Jeep is simply a better vehicle off road. With that said, the ram is better at everything else. For us, if I am taking a road trip to go "Jeeping", I tow it with the Ram.

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have both my '17 Ram 1500 and '12 JK Rubicon. Jeep is heavily modified, also my wife's DD. 2.5" Rock Krawler long arm lift, RK front suspension and steering components with tie rod flip, C gussets, sleeved axle tubes. 4.88 geared with detroit lockers, full Spyder skids, Artec axle trusses, anti-rock sway, 35's. Even with all the added weight it still moves pretty damn good. Only gets like 12-14 mpg, on a good day, though. lol

Jeeps are finicky if you don't take care of them. Plus they are prone to wear when modified. Like, adding a lift, you'll wear out of the stock drive shaft CV's in short order. Adding larger tires, blown ball joints.. Stock front track bar is flimsy as hell, so lifting and larger tires you'd want to replace that as well.

Point is, in stock form, are still really fun and will last a long while if well maintained. Once you start modifying it's like a domino effect, one upgrade leads to another due to failure or weak stock parts. I spent 3 years building mine and it's like a damn tank now.

Now with all that talk, you better show some pictures. [emoji6]

OP
OP
R

REDE2GO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok guys thanks for the replys but unfortunately the deal did not go thru. I got called from the dealership after I posted this and I was asked how come I didn't make the deal that night and what would ************ back. OF COURSE I said lower the price and I would be back. He said I don't see why we cant when can you come back, I responded tomorrow morning because I work at night.

Came home took out my challenger that I'm trading in got all the paperwork ready went to home depot to buy my wife a stepper and headed to dealership. Pulled in to the dealership parked the car and right away a salesperson came out and asked if we needed help. Told him about the salesperson I dealt with and he said he's not here yet so he asked if I was interested in the jeep I was standing in front of I said yes. He said ok let me find out. Came back out and said the jeep was sold. Of course my mouth dropped and I almost exploded inside. This jeep was on the lot for 32 days and the second I'm interested someone comes in a puts a deposit on it

My salesperson calls me after I got home to tell me the person that purchased it was paying cash and bought 3 cars from them in the last 6 months that were done up. Of course he was apologetic and if the deal happens to fall thru he will call me right away. Sure. Well I am pissed as all hell because all I had to do was leave a deposit to hold the jeep. I felt leaving a deposit would not give me any negotiating room because they weren't really going down in price.

Well now I'm back to square one and I'm pissed

OP
OP
R

REDE2GO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have thought about waiting for the 2018 but this particular jeep caught my eye so I was looking to make a deal on it. From what I could see it has bilstein 5100 shocks on the front and AEV lift. Has 37 13.5 18 tires Toyo Open Country with fuel rims. Fully loaded with hard and soft top navigation and weatherproof subwoofer. Aftermarket fender flares so nothing had to be done. Had 13,600 miles on it

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, I have a 1997 Wrangler Jeep TJ that I'm currently restoring. Nutt'n special right now, but...

Attachments

• IMG_20160803_190531_695.jpg
    IMG_20160803_190531_695.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20160803_185144_965.jpg
    IMG_20160803_185144_965.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 30

john55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've got a 2006 TJ, just a 2.4 6 speed, 2.5" lift and 33" tires, the kids and I share it, lots of fun, back years ago I had a 1979 CJ5 with a 304, I swapped that 304 out for a 401....

LKWJeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've had a few Wranglers over the years 2008 & 2016 JKUs but I sold them and bought a 95 Wrangler as a build project and now have my Rebel.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just purchased a new 2017 Wrangler unlimited. Winter driver and storing the Longhorn

Attachments

• 6f004e8d803afdaf8043e62fa113ad90.jpg
    6f004e8d803afdaf8043e62fa113ad90.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 12

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Probably a good thing you didnt buy that unlimited on 37's. My 2010 sport JKU 3.8L mini van motor (200HP) 6 speed manual. had 6" synergy lift, 37" nitto mud grapplers. I had to install 5:13 gears to turn the 37" tires because the motor is a joke. I also installed detroit lockers, chromoly shafts, synergy axle inserts, synergy drag link and flip kit, and weld on C-gussets. You can beef up a dana 30 all you want, but the weak point is the small ring gear diameter. With the 5:13 gear that is mandatoey to turn the 37's, there is only about 3/4" of contact area on the ring gear. I tore the teeth off of (3) sets of frint dana 30 ring gears, just spinning the tires in the mud.

So you did yourself a favor by not buying that jeep with 37's and the ************* dana 30, trust me! The new 8-speed tranny doesnt mean a damn thing when it comes to gears or tire size. The 2012+ JK has a 3.6L motor that has 285 HP and 260 TQ. With that motor, and a 6-speed manual (should be mandatory in a jeep) you can get away with running 4:88 gears with 37's, but the weak point is still the tiny dana 30 ring gear diameter.
If your in the market for a jeep, and plan on running bigger than 33" tires, make sure to get a rubicon that comes with the front dana 44. Even then 37" tores will be pushing the limits with chromoly shafts and a locker. I was gojng to install a frint dana 60, but didnt feel like $10K was worrh putting into the jeep. By the way, i installed everything myself, and made my own bumpers, 45 degree tire carrier, rock sliders, and street legal tubular steel fender flares to fully cover my 37x13.50 mud grapplers.

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg