Back pressure issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodgeboy383

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Ram 2500
Engine
5.7 Liter Hemi
My 2008 ram has a 5.7 liter Hemi , I bought the truck a year ago and have noticed an issue from a year ago getting a little worse. With the overdrive on, (depending on speed of truck) the exhaust sounds terrible, almost sounds like a Jake Brake & the engine is Boggy. The previous owner installed a flow master muffler, can it be the muffler doesn't create enough back pressure that causes this? This is my first Hemi,and I was told this year of Hemi doesn't have the option where the engine cuts out cylinders based on your speed, (I gotta wonder) if I have this option, can it be "deactivated?" This is a stupid option. I bought this truck for V8 Hemi power......not a 4 cylinder!

Pntyrmvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
MDS first year was 2006. You're hearing a 4 cyl engine when it's on. Factory exhaust hid that sound pretty well. Then some kid messed with it...

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Your engine is equipped with MDS so when it slips into 4 cylinder operation, the exhaust pulse changes and you experience some resonance aka drone which can be very annoying.

The stock system had a resonator on it and you could add one to the tailpipe to reduce or eliminate the noise. They aren't restrictive so there's no worries about negating the benefits of a freer flowing muffler.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same issue on my 06 charger. Put on a flowmaster catback and the drone was crazy. I ended up getting a Diablo programmer and shutting the mds off, the drone was gone and somehow the mpgs got better. On my ram I just put it in manual shift until I got my programmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963