Bighorn model type?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
I’m just curious but how come you’re not a fan of leather? This is my first time owing a vehicle with leather seats but I’ve never been a fan of cloth because they absorb too much dirt and are easily stained unless they are covered with a good seat cover that actually fits properly.

Vinyl just doesn’t look good to me. My 08 has it and it just doesn’t look good. I woulda much rather had cloth over vinyl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This has come up a few times around the office and my opinion on them seems to be my own; I'm not the biggest fan of them. I guess my opinion doesn't reflect most, but I don't like how hard they are when they're freezing, or how hot they get in the summer. Heated seats features help in the winter, but there isn't a thing you can do when it's hot (well, not on most...some are "cooled"). I found my cloth seats in my truck to far more comfortable. I may not do a bunch of dirty stuff I guess...I never had an issue mucking up the cloth seats in my '14 for the 4 years I had it.

I'll say that even worse than leather is suede...moy god, they're hard to get in/out of and you stick to them (for lack of better terms). The suede seats in my '03 Cobra, or the alcantara in my '08 Mazdaspeed 3 were just awful, you'd stick to them. It was a funky feeling adjusting your seating position when driving.

Keeping them clean would probably be the one thing that I'd feel leather wins out on...

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This has come up a few times around the office and my opinion on them seems to be my own; I'm not the biggest fan of them. I guess my opinion doesn't reflect most, but I don't like how hard they are when they're freezing, or how hot they get in the summer. Heated seats features help in the winter, but there isn't a thing you can do when it's hot (well, not on most...some are "cooled"). I found my cloth seats in my truck to far more comfortable. I may not do a bunch of dirty stuff I guess...I never had an issue mucking up the cloth seats in my '14 for the 4 years I had it.
Yeah I’ll say the weather definitely plays a role in that but like you said, the heating elements in those seats work wonders and although it isn’t summer yet, I’ve got very good feelings about the ventilation in them. Lol.

I usually stay pretty clean myself in my truck and kinda require every one else who rides in it to do the same but even tho I said dirt absorption, I was pretty much speaking in terms of stains from spills if it ever happens. Stuff like that will wipe off easier and if you keep the seats conditioned, they’ll even have a little bit of water resistance.

I'll say that even worse than leather is suede...moy god, they're hard to get in/out of and you stick to them (for lack of better terms). The suede seats in my '03 Cobra, or the alcantara in my '08 Mazdaspeed 3 were just awful, you'd stick to them. It was a funky feeling adjusting your seating position when driving.
I hear ya.

Keeping them clean would probably be the one thing that I'd feel leather wins out on...

[emoji6]

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
According to the official site, they go in this order:

Tradesman
Express
Big Horn
Sport
(Harvest-special)
(Night-special)
Laramie
Rebel
Laramie Longhorn
Limited

What's strange is that locally, the Sport is almost always more $$ than the Laramie. Not sure if this is an options thing, but it is.

My '17 Big Horn came with some nice features that I'm not used to seeing on a BH; heated seats/steering wheel, power folding mirrors, bed LED lighting, front/rear bumper sensors.

For the same $$ as my '17 Big Horn EcoDiesel, I could have got an '18 Laramie 5.7L....I'm beginning to regret my decision a bit...

I liked the LED tails and projector headlamps on my '14 Black package Express...I do miss those. Many of the other Laramie features (leather, wheels, grill), I can give/take. All joking aside, I'm not the largest fan of leather seats.

What is the approx msrp price on those trim levels? I know it can vary a lot but just curious how costly the high end gets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6

I totally agree not a fan of leather for the reasons you state prefer cloth find them a lot more comfortable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Totally off topic but you mentioned them... totally different animals, but which did you like better? The terminator, or the speed6?

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
Totally off topic but you mentioned them... totally different animals, but which did you like better? The terminator, or the speed6?

Hmm...that's a long answer.

In short, neither.

The Terminator was re-pulley'd and dyno tuned (with a few other light mods). It was inanely fast and uncomfortable. In town driving was often 1st gear to 6th (or 5th) gear shifts. Anything else and you'd be speeding. The driving position was harsh and the IRS seemed like it wanted to kill you when you hit the throttle. It proved that at least for me, there is such a thing as "too much horsepower". I traded it off.

The Mazdaspeed 3 was my attempt at a vehicle more focused on handling. I landed up despising all the horsepower in a FWD car, the turbo was neutered in 1st gear to avoid insane torque steer, the turbo was so small that it was only useful in a very small RPM band in 2-4th gear. It could handle...and stop on a dime, but it just wan't my bag. I sold it to my buddy, he still owns it to this day ad loves it (the turbo did blow at just over 30K miles...it was covered under warranty).

My favorite? My '04 GTO 5.7L with the 6spd manual. It was one of the most balanced cars I've ever owned. It was a blast to dive, super predictable in terms of how the car would react to input, and insanely comfortable. The bad? It was a complete pile of junk (and rather ugly). That thing had so many mechanical/electrical problems that I landed up selling it with only 14K miles on the ODO.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey, I had similar feelings towards that ole 96 Dakota I once had back in the day that had a 5-speed stick behind a 318 v8. That little ******* was insanely fast. I could run a hundred miles an hour in fourth gear and only be pushin’ 4 grand on the tach. That little truck was dangerous on snow and ice too. 4-wheel drive, four studded snow tires, you still had to be extremely careful talking off or you’d be spinning all four wheels. Lol. Bout killed us one time leaving Oklahoma going home after Christmas break goin back to Colorado out on 40 in west Oklahoma. Light snow, roads was a little icy, started going up a little hill and just barely pushing the pedal, them back tires broke loose and around and around we went in the center median...lol. It wasn’t much longer after that when I traded it off on that 98 1500 I had after that.

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

I never had any issues with the 03 cobra seats..... damn I miss that car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The Terminator was re-pulley'd and dyno tuned (with a few other light mods). It was inanely fast and uncomfortable. In town driving was often 1st gear to 6th (or 5th) gear shifts. Anything else and you'd be speeding. The driving position was harsh and the IRS seemed like it wanted to kill you when you hit the throttle. It proved that at least for me, there is such a thing as "too much horsepower".
It’s funny how people can have such differing opinions on the same thing. I guess ergonomics and comfort come down to body type.I’m 6’2”, 250 and was perfectly comfortable in my Terminator. No problem driving it in a perfectly reasonable manner, but it was always ready to get wild as soon as I wanted. My biggest complaint was all the creams and rattles. That generation Mustang wasn’t known for build quality and mine was a convertible so I’m sure the lack of a roof structure didn’t help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's about the top of the hill!!!!