Blueprint engines opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I'm trying to plan out my 72 stepside rebuild.

I'm down to either rebuilding my 318 or going crate motor. I've been really leaning toward a blueprint 408. My question is, after hearing all of the horror stories with "seasoned block" motors, anyone have any experience with this company? some of the shady-er companies cut corners and such. Blueprint seems to have a good rep. I'd rather hear some real world feedback.

any input appreciated.

Last edited:

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have never heard of ANY horror stories of "seasoned blocks." They are either good or bad. If you stick with your original block, have it sonic check and magnafluxed for any structural issues. 9.5/10 it will be fine, those LA and Magnum blocks are very tough.

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
probably should have been more accurate. Horror stories not associated with the "seasoned blocks" but the actual build done by some companies, engines that fail within a few thousand miles, components not matching the build sheets, etc. Of course, I realize you only hear the bad stories but still, makes one paranoid.

Considered using my current motor/block but can't seem to find a good machine shop around here. If anyone knows a trusted shop in the Sacramento area, any info would be appreciated. of course, the thought of just dropping in a turn key is tempting to my lazy side.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do your homework. A good shop will have a good reputation. Talk to the people and see if they know what they are talking about. Ultimately you are the one is who is responsible for picking a decent shop and getting that mill done right.
JMTC YMMV

preachp

B-Shot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Blueprint engines are pretty good in my experience with them. There are two sides to horror stories like some people not matching harmonic balancer's and flywheel's and having their new crate engine fail within a thousand miles, just something to think about.