Bondo question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
So, how thick can you use this stuff and have it still set up well?

I have about a 1-1.5" deep area Id like to use this stuff and just wanna find out if it will set up okay..

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
you should be fine but the thicker the the bondo you risk it cracking over time. How big is said dent? Can you get to it from the other side and pound it out some? If you cant what about a suction cup to pull it out some? or maybe if you have acess to a welder spot weld a stud on it and use a pair of pliers and pull it out some. Then just grind off the stud. The less bondo the better.

mikelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want the repair to last you shouldn't go thicker then maybe 3/16". The thinner the better...

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Its not a repair on metal, its a indention this thing im trying to fill in, abs plastic is the material.

something better then bondo to do such a thing?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Then dont use bondo on ABS plastic...bondo doesnt like to flex at all...it will just fall out

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1/8" is the general rule of thumb I've always heard.

You can use 'kitty hair' which has fiber glass strands in it for thicker stuff, but I still don't think you're supposed to be near 1.5" thick.

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Its not a repair on metal, its a indention this thing im trying to fill in, abs plastic is the material.

something better then bondo to do such a thing?

Take a heat gun and slowly heat it up and and flatten out the dent some. thats what i did on my front bumper cover.

Then dont use bondo on ABS plastic...bondo doesnt like to flex at all...it will just fall out

After i got the crack on my front bumper cover smoothed out some i used bondo to smooth it out. Been a few months and some hard bumpy ass mud holes now and no cracking yet. What would have been better to use then?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Joe, Duramix has a plastic filler that is GREAT for filling ABS and stuff...much more reliable than bondo. It's a tad on the expensive side and for what Codes is wanting to fill (he texted me a pic, lol) the bondo is not gonna work...

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Joe, Duramix has a plastic filler that is GREAT for filling ABS and stuff...much more reliable than bondo. It's a tad on the expensive side and for what Codes is wanting to fill (he texted me a pic, lol) the bondo is not gonna work...

ok ill have to check it out next time.

and the codes :pics-****:.lol

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used Duramix to fill the emblem indent on my '99 grill shell. Worked awesome. It's a bit hard to shape compared to bondo, but I got it 'pretty close' and used finishing putty and it was cherry. Lasted for a couple years w/o issue. sold the truck, no idea now.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
just wish I didnt have to buy the gun on that duramix stuff lol