buying tire chains?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
after reading this thread I spent some time looking at youtube videos about all kinds of advanced polymer tire chains, that certainly appeared to me would have no body clearance issues at all... If I needed chains, I would certainly look into and use one of those new S class styles that I saw in the vids

calling them chains maybe is the issue...more like traction aids

Pmexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
Damn, thanks for the info. I foound a tire chanes for 37 tires on theirs webpage...so was thinking to get a set for some extreme conditions...ufff, but sure not from now!

Stockton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Forgive my ignorance and apologies for reviving this old thread. I am a new 2018 Ram 1500 owner but I have a question. I used to have an 06 Tacoma and we were told not even to put S-Class chains on the front. Well sometimes I go places where chains are needed so I put 1.75" wheel spacers up front and I was able to run the standard LesSchwab chains so issues on the 4 occasions in 5 years I needed them.

I will be putting the Bilstein front leveling struts on so I can get 33" BFG AT KO3's put on and I am curious if wheel spacers might help with the clearance from suspension components similar to my Tacoma. Obviously there may be issues at full lock and full stuff but a little body trim is fine whereas wrapping chains around suspension components is not.

I have legit chains for the rear and I guess I better test fit those soon since I am not used to having the coil suspension in the rear. I do a lot of winter back country camping/travel and I need to ensure I can get out when a freak snow storm drops more than expected.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If by 33s you mean 33x12.5 then all I can say is test fit keeping in mind they will move a little and slack over time. If by 33s you mean 275 60 20, which is the stock size and also a 33" tire I'd say you'll be fine as long as they're tight and the correct size. I Run the most aggressive tire chains I've ever seen and they clear on my truck fine on that size. I'm going to test fit on my 275 65 20 34" to see how they clear next time I have time.I may upsize my winter tires next time,but wont if chain clearance is an issue. Looking at it I think a larger diameter may give the chains more clearance in the back from suspension and brake lines, but I worry about fender clearance. In the front I wouldn't clear the fenders when turning even stock size at stock height.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Most rams you aren't suppose to put chains on anyways.

Who told you that Ram trucks ain’t supposed to use chains? Who cares they’re *******’ anyway.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
If by 33s you mean 33x12.5 then all I can say is test fit keeping in mind they will move a little and slack over time. If by 33s you mean 275 60 20, which is the stock size and also a 33" tire I'd say you'll be fine as long as they're tight and the correct size. I Run the most aggressive tire chains I've ever seen and they clear on my truck fine on that size. I'm going to test fit on my 275 65 20 34" to see how they clear next time I have time.I may upsize my winter tires next time,but wont if chain clearance is an issue. Looking at it I think a larger diameter may give the chains more clearance in the back from suspension and brake lines, but I worry about fender clearance. In the front I wouldn't clear the fenders when turning even stock size at stock height.

Chains from what I was taught do not go on the front or steer axle of any vehicle

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Who told you that Ram trucks ain’t supposed to use chains? Who cares they’re *******’ anyway.

That would the the owners manual.......and per that, I can't put chains on my truck's rear axle, and they say not to put them on the front axle...so that means NO CHAINS !

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Forgive my ignorance and apologies for reviving this old thread. I am a new 2018 Ram 1500 owner but I have a question. I used to have an 06 Tacoma and we were told not even to put S-Class chains on the front. Well sometimes I go places where chains are needed so I put 1.75" wheel spacers up front and I was able to run the standard LesSchwab chains so issues on the 4 occasions in 5 years I needed them.

I will be putting the Bilstein front leveling struts on so I can get 33" BFG AT KO3's put on and I am curious if wheel spacers might help with the clearance from suspension components similar to my Tacoma. Obviously there may be issues at full lock and full stuff but a little body trim is fine whereas wrapping chains around suspension components is not.

I have legit chains for the rear and I guess I better test fit those soon since I am not used to having the coil suspension in the rear. I do a lot of winter back country camping/travel and I need to ensure I can get out when a freak snow storm drops more than expected.

You're best to read your owners manual and follow what it says...some models & tire sizes can use them, some can't.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Chains from what I was taught do not go on the front or steer axle of any vehicle

As a general rule no, but heavy trucks use them for steering and if 1 set can't get you through sometimes 2 will. I've never chained the front, but I see the odd guy do it. On my truck front chains would probably tear stuff up.

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As a general rule no, but heavy trucks use them for steering and if 1 set can't get you through sometimes 2 will. I've never chained the front, but I see the odd guy do it. On my truck front chains would probably tear stuff up.
Define "heavy truck". Because I'm a truck driver who hauls 80k#, and you will NEVER see a professional driver chain his steers. EVER. Chaining steers is more dangerous than not chaining anything at all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Define "heavy truck". Because I'm a truck driver who hauls 80k#, and you will NEVER see a professional driver chain his steers. EVER. Chaining steers is more dangerous than not chaining anything at all.

I see it all the time out here. Off road in the mud it makes a big difference going around corners and in ice on certain roads where you need to make a turn approaching or coming down a hill. The guys running tri drives do it most often because they really want to go straight. Highway trucks I have no idea.

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I see it all the time out here. Off road in the mud it makes a big difference going around corners and in ice on certain roads where you need to make a turn approaching or coming down a hill. The guys running tri drives do it most often because they really want to go straight. Highway trucks I have no idea.
Ok, off highway definitely makes a difference.

Stockton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
This is definitely for an off highway back country use. Someplace where I need more grip on the steer axle due to heavy snow or hard packed icy snow. Been in a few situations where the bumper becomes a plow and/or one side of the road is a nasty drop off and having that extra grip is really nice. Never had any issues with how I had my Tacoma set up despite manufacturer warning of no chains on the front. I rarely ever put chains on while highway/city driving as a good set of tires, slightly deflated and knowing how to drive takes care of most the problem where I am from. Just curious if anyone with more knowledge about these trucks has had success chaining all 4 with what I am speaking of.

I have a tradesman express and will be putting 285/70/R17 tires on with the Bilstein struts set at 2.25-2.75 pending what is needed to stop the nose dive.