A/C Hepl Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

medicineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Help Wanted:

My A/C on a 2004 Ram 1500 with a 4.7 engine has started acting up.

The compressor, and all hoses and active components have been replaced. The unit cools very well, however , the A/C clutch jumps in and out and chirps and squeals. I replaced the compressor twice, but have had no relief.

Can anyone out there help?

Medicineman [email protected]

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you been recharging the freon/oil yourself? And if you kept the first new compressor I would be interested in buying it there is probably nothing wrong with it if it was new.

If you are buying used compressors you might be using other peoples problems.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I know you say active components but did you replace the serpentine belt or the idler/tensioner pulley? I thought I was going to need to replace my compressor a while back because every time I turned the a/c on it would squeal so loud that I couldn't run it. It worked great but was very loud. Turned out to be the belt and pulley. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

medicineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,

Yes, the serpentine belt and tensioner was replaced prior to the AC system. The AC system has had a major overhaul, including a new compressor, new pressure switch, new accumulator, new tube, new AC radiator and attached electric fan. The new system was installed by an ASE certified mechanic. Both he and I are baffled that the AC compressor clutch slips and squeals. I assure you that it IS the AC clutch and not the drive belt. The washers in the AC clutch have been exchanged twice and the entire clutch assy has been changed once. Still chatters and squeals.

Nope, sorry, I do not have the parts that came off of the truck.

If anyone can tell me why the AC clutch squeals and chatters I would greatly appreciate it, it is driving me crazy...LOL.

OP
OP
M

medicineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh yes, all components were replaced NEW, no rebuilt or used parts. Thanks, Medicineman