cordless impact wrench?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ventoracing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've never owned any air tools but after doing a leveling kits and body lift in my driveway with hand tools I wished I had something better....

Are these cordless impact wrenches (18-20V DeWalt) any good?

parttimer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a snap on, makes life simple. Better than dragging out the compressor, filling it, dragging hoses around.

GotExhaust.com

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Craftsman, Milwaukee or Dewalt. The higher voltage the better. They work great.

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with K&N CAI and Diablosport Trinity Tuner
I have an 18v dewalt. It works great. Be sure to get more than one battery if you go cordlesss. They tend to go dead on longer projects.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yes Dewalt is good brand but like stated above make sure you get at least one extra battery.

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with K&N CAI and Diablosport Trinity Tuner
Me and dad got a dewalt cordless set that came with a drill, a work light, a saw sawl, and an impact, and we already had another drill. We have 4 batteries and when we remember to charge them back up, we don't have any problems. Most of our shop is either dewalt or craftsman.

huff2462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Me and dad got a dewalt cordless set that came with a drill, a work light, a saw sawl, and an impact, and we already had another drill. We have 4 batteries and when we remember to charge them back up, we don't have any problems. Most of our shop is either dewalt or craftsman.

Most of the cordless sets come with an impact DRIVER (which is great... and I have one of those too) but the impact WRENCH is a different animal. Gives up to 350ft-lbs of torque with the 18v battery... I've used it to zip lug nuts off and on with zero issues.

Like everyone said, have an extra battery ready! They go quick with the impact.

-
'13 RAM 1500 Big Horn, 5.7L Hemi, 8-sp trans, 4x4, 3.21 gears

OP
OP
ventoracing

ventoracing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I picked up a 20V dewalt impact wrench kit. Kinda pricey but it looks like it's gonna last.

Anyone know off the top of their head what size socket is needed for the lug nuts on a 4th gen 1500?

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those Dewalt 1/2" impact drivers are nice. I got to try one once.
For me personally, I went with a less expensive 120 volt plug in 1/2" Driver. I have lots of cordless tools and love them, but I figured the 120v would make more sense for me since it wouldn't get used all that often

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I picked up a 20V dewalt impact wrench kit. Kinda pricey but it looks like it's gonna last.

Anyone know off the top of their head what size socket is needed for the lug nuts on a 4th gen 1500?

7/8" or 22mm

bhep05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cordless impact

Hi, I am new to this forum and wanted to give my input on this thread. I Just bought a 12' Ram 1500 CC 4x4 the other day and love it. Had a 12' SC 2wd express that was a blast to drive but needed more room. Happy to be hear with the ram fan's!

On the contrary, I am a front end tech for a ford dealer and I have used the snap on 14.4v going on 4 years. It gets used all day long 5 days a week. I have taken the head apart and cleaned/greased once and it didn't even need it. The batteries for the first year or so would last almost a full week. But in the last couple of years they have steadily dropped to a change once a day. Again I use it all day long! It can still break properly torqued lug nuts loose on a fresh battery, although I don't do this on a regular basis or recommend it. Very hard on the anvil! They now have the 18V which they say is lighter and stronger. These are very expensive compared to dewalts and makitas but have stood the test of time in our shop. Those are the only other brands I have tried and would only buy if I was short on cash. I had the most expensive dewalt model for about 6 months before it quit. It worked Ok before it kicked the bucket. Makita lasted almost a year before I took the plunge to Snap on. The Snap on cordless impact will make your life a lot easier! I own both the 3/8" and the 1/2", which goes in the truck on any kind of a road trip and has come in very handy. Hope this helps, Good Luck!

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I loved my Snap on cordless impact, used it everyday like posted above. To bad it's at the bottom of the lake.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 srt10 ram, 2003 4.7 4x4 quad cab ram
Engine
Viper 8.3 supercharged, stock 4.7
Matco impacts are beasts

cfodor

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had 36v dewalt impact it was good but batteries did not last and were not cheap. I have a snap on 18v nicad right now it has more power then the dewalt. I would not be afraid to buy a used snap on 18v if the price was right. It all depends on what you are wanting to do.

Mr. Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT Big Horn CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
(Here goes, I'm sure I'm gonna catch hell for this)...
I bought a Chicago Electric Harbor Freight 1/2" plug in impact wrench. EXCELLENT wrench, especially considering the price. Takes off lugs, rusted suspension nuts, and proved VERY helpful when building my deck. I recommend corded or air, especially if you'll be using it more than 15 minutes or so. I think even with an extra battery, eventually you'd end up waiting around for charging...
That being said, I own a DeWalt cordless 14.4 impact driver. PHENOMENAL tool. Worked flawlessly for several large projects, but it did give up when the HF was able to power through.

dedogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
check out ridgid. they have lifetime warranty on power tools and their battries, which are lithium ion. my table saw also has a life time warranty. All my power tools are ridged and they have never failed me. just my .02

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I hear, the new Milwaukee m18 fuel impact wrench is the bomb. It has gobs of torque in both forward and reverse. Plus it uses a brushless motor, and I think a li-ion battery.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963