Custom skid plates vs OEM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeySkullz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys,

I wanted to get your input on custom made skid plates vs OEM.
I have a 2013 RAM 1500 Sport, and wanted front and back skid plates, but the available OEM plate poorly protected the bottom of the truck and left a lot of vital items exposed.

My question is the following:

If you had the option of getting a custom skid plate done by a metal shop at the same price or better than the OEM parts, would you take that risk?

The reason I ask is my cousin is the metal shop contact I had, and he is convinced he can make a full underbody skid plate or at least a larger portion than the OEM option.

To be clear, I am by no means a mechanic, I'm an office guy with a truck, that likes offroading, so I am looking for some technical factors to consider with a full underbody skid plate: weight, bevels for moving and bouncing parts....I don't know lol. Any wisdom will be greatly appreciated guys.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, I'd take the heavier and beefier skid plates over the OEM units as long as,

1. they are coated to avoid corrosion at the attachment points, and,

2. they fit with no drilling.