Dakota won't crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcmalek1979

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
My 2000 Dakota will intermittently fail to start, even after replacing the battery, starter and alternator. When it fails, there is no sound at all when the key is turned, but the interior lights and headlights are still working OK. The starter doesn't crank at all. Could a relay be the problem, or the keyswitch? Any help would be appreciated!

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
There is a relay in the fusebox under the hood for the starter. You could try swapping it with a different one.

Check your connections between the battery and starter. MAKE SURE THEY'RE TIGHT. Like, yank on it and it doesn't move tight. It really doesn't take much to create an issue here. I had a crappy, hacked on ground cable on my Mountaineer and sometimes when you tried to start it, the solenoid wouldn't even click. A big ass spark would jump from the ground connector however. So of course, being stupid and ignoring the obvious fact that the connection was ****, I once put the battery charger on it and turned it to jump mode thinking "well maybe the battery is just weak." Went to crank it and a HUGE spark kicked up from the connector as well as some smoke. Left a dark blue residue on the battery next to the terminal as well. Boy, did I feel ****ing stupid, LOL.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Dakota won't start

You said you replaced the starter right? Did the engine turn over before you changed out the battery,alternator and starter.Did you know before you started to replace the battery if it is weak it will ruin a starter it's called low voltage.I would pull that starter and have it checked but before you do all that I really need more info on what the truck is doing .Did the engine spin if it spin then it's something else .Also check your battery cable ends on the battery.

OP
OP
J

jcmalek1979

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
It's weird because the problem comes and goes. It will crank up normally and start up just fine for a few days. But the next time, you turn the key, and nothing happens (the starter doesn't crank at all). The battery was replaced a few months ago, and the starter was replaced in the last few weeks.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Dakota won't start

I have a new rebuilt starter straight out of the box be bad and alternator too.