Dealership Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

agrats84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie Crew Cab EcoDiesel
Engine
EcoDiesel
Hi- I just purchased a 2016 Laramie crew cab with the ecodiesel. I wanted to share my dealership experience and ask for some guidance moving forward. I found a dealership willing to negotiate over the phone so I made 2.5 hour trip there. Long story short- we agreed upon numbers and then I took it for a test drive- rode beautifully! We get to filling out the final paperwork and the odometer reading says 520 miles. I stop signing and tell the guy it's a mistake. He says no it's not it's got 520 miles on it. Now shame on me for not realizing it when I test drove it but he should have told me why it had the miles before filling out any paperwork. No one could tell me the exact reason why it had the miles. By this time I was pissed off and ready to take delivery because it was the exact truck I wanted. Then the dealership wouldn't fill my diesel tank but offered to give me a $10 gas card. At half a tank I was ready to accept it and just get the hell out of there. As I was leaving the sales guy said- "sorry we're actually all out of gas cards". I left in disgust and said I would never recommend it come back to that dealer again. I got in the truck and realized it had 570 miles, not 520 like on the paperwork. Again, shame on me for not double checking... but seriously?!?! To top it off- they forgot to put my antenna on and I didn't realize it until I was nearly 2 hours home. I called the dealership and they are supposedly sending me the antenna with 2 gas cards, however won't do anything for the existing 570 miles on the truck they didn't tell me about. What would you reasonably expect from them for the miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
What is your proposed solution?

The mileage could be from a bunch of curious individuals about how the ecodiesel drives and rides. I'm curious since I have only seen one on the road out here amid a sea of hemi powered trucks, and there's no way I'd buy one. Would just like to go put a few miles on one to check it out.

OP
OP
A

agrats84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie Crew Cab EcoDiesel
Engine
EcoDiesel
I could understand a few test drives but not 570 miles worth. I'm hoping they can compensate me somehow like 20-25 cents a mile. It's really like a demo vehicle and those are discounted.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably the dealership drove it around to run errands there is different scenarios on how those 500 got there.
It's just fishy how the dealership can't explain the reason why

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't sweat it. That's not a lot of miles and life is short. Lesson learned, next time look at the odometer.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hi- I just purchased a 2016 Laramie crew cab with the ecodiesel. I wanted to share my dealership experience and ask for some guidance moving forward. I found a dealership willing to negotiate over the phone so I made 2.5 hour trip there. Long story short- we agreed upon numbers and then I took it for a test drive- rode beautifully! We get to filling out the final paperwork and the odometer reading says 520 miles. I stop signing and tell the guy it's a mistake. He says no it's not it's got 520 miles on it. Now shame on me for not realizing it when I test drove it but he should have told me why it had the miles before filling out any paperwork. No one could tell me the exact reason why it had the miles. By this time I was pissed off and ready to take delivery because it was the exact truck I wanted. Then the dealership wouldn't fill my diesel tank but offered to give me a $10 gas card. At half a tank I was ready to accept it and just get the hell out of there. As I was leaving the sales guy said- "sorry we're actually all out of gas cards". I left in disgust and said I would never recommend it come back to that dealer again. I got in the truck and realized it had 570 miles, not 520 like on the paperwork. Again, shame on me for not double checking... but seriously?!?! To top it off- they forgot to put my antenna on and I didn't realize it until I was nearly 2 hours home. I called the dealership and they are supposedly sending me the antenna with 2 gas cards, however won't do anything for the existing 570 miles on the truck they didn't tell me about. What would you reasonably expect from them for the miles?

if the salesman gave you an explanation on the mileage would it truly make you feel better? who's to say he's giving you an honest reason? the mileage isnt a big deal. if it really bothered you, you shouldnt have bought it or you should have negotiated that BEFORE you bought it. its too late now. expecting them to do something after the fact is crazy.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
520 miles is a drop in a great big ocean. Get over it.

jettajam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've purchased three Ram 1500s in the last 10 years and all of them had less than 20 miles on them when I took delivery.....I also paid attention to the odometer when I took the test drive. I also look at the born on date too and won't buy anything that rolls off the line on a Monday or Friday, call me crazy, but that's how I roll. For the OP, you signed the agreement, sorry to say, but you're the one who took delivery and I seriously doubt they'll do anything at all for you.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I got my Big Horn it was new with 280 some miles on it, it was a dealer trade and was driven from IL to IA. Doesn't matter much, your warranty starts from whatever mileage is written down at the time of sale. Don't sweat it, just sounds like you really wanted the truck and you didn't notice. As long as you got the truck you wanted then consider it a win!!!!

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I could understand a few test drives but not 570 miles worth. I'm hoping they can compensate me somehow like 20-25 cents a mile. It's really like a demo vehicle and those are discounted.

You are not entitled to crap. It is a "new" vehicle for selling purposes until it gets titled and registered. Your failure to observe mileage and being a personal problem for you is on you, not them.

Your leverage to get anything address was BEFORE you completed the paperwork, not AFTER.

You strike me as one of those customers every service writer is going to hate when you bring it in for nit-noid stuff that is not wrong because you do not understand the function of something.

maxx442

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 H.O.
double post

clownprince

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V8
Dude seriously, before you go signing papers you need to check your ****. Also I doubt they forced your hand to sign. Until the exact moment you drove off the lot they had no leg to stand on, no cashable contract. Had you simply left in your old vehicle, even after signing papers they couldn't hold you to ****. Its your own fault for getting caught up in the excitement of buying a new truck.:baby:

One thing that you can do is this, check your Moroni label and if it says it includes a full tank of fuel let Dodge know, not the dealership, corporate.

Really sounds to me like the salesman did a helluva good job. Why do you think we get people so excited about getting a new car? WE MAKE MORE MONEY WHEN YOU ARE EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy107:

Last edited by a moderator:

pacificrefugee23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
My uncle had a similar experience. He bought a 2016 Laramie 2500 from a dealership here in socal and it had like 320 on it and scratches all over the inside of the bed. He complained about it for like a month and then realized the dealership wasn't going to do anything about it, and just decided to drop it. He's already put on like 20000 miles on it. That 320 didn't really make that much a difference. Just watch out with those ecodiesels. I know Fiat manufactures the motor in it and that thing is running harder than it should to compensate. There's tons of reviews about camshafts breaking at 37,000 miles. So just be aware.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

maxx442

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 H.O.
My uncle had a similar experience. He bought a 2016 Laramie 2500 from a dealership here in socal and it had like 320 on it and scratches all over the inside of the bed. He complained about it for like a month and then realized the dealership wasn't going to do anything about it, and just decided to drop it. He's already put on like 20000 miles on it. That 320 didn't really make that much a difference. Just watch out with those ecodiesels. I know Fiat manufactures the motor in it and that thing is running harder than it should to compensate. There's tons of reviews about camshafts breaking at 37,000 miles. So just be aware.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Care to post some factual links to your incorrect statements? The engine is NOT produced by Fiat. It is produced by VM Motori which has produced engines for decades, including the sole manufacturer for Maseratis.

But alas, ignorance must be bliss, considering how happy you are to spew forth **** that you know nothing about. But then it must be true because your mom's cousin's uncle's ****** sister said so.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Care to post some factual links to your incorrect statements? The engine is NOT produced by Fiat. It is produced by VM Motori which has produced engines for decades, including the sole manufacturer for Maseratis.

But alas, ignorance must be bliss, considering how happy you are to spew forth **** that you know nothing about. But then it must be true because your mom's cousin's uncle's ****** sister said so.

Sounds like a rage post... Totally uncalled for IMO. Sure, the motor isn't produced by Fiat, but Fiat does own VM Motori, so maybe they pushed the motor sooner than they should have? I've read quite a few posts on the ram 1500 diesel forum about motors locking up. The problem seems to be fixed now, but it was an issue at one time.

maxx442

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 H.O.
Sounds like a rage post... Totally uncalled for IMO. Sure, the motor isn't produced by Fiat, but Fiat does own VM Motori, so maybe they pushed the motor sooner than they should have? I've read quite a few posts on the ram 1500 diesel forum about motors locking up. The problem seems to be fixed now, but it was an issue at one time.

Not a rage post at all. Just tired of people bloviating about matters they have no real knowledge about or proof of. There have been no documented cases of a camshaft breaking. There have been a few instances of main rod bearings not being properly torqued and causing problems. That issue has been corrected and in actuality affected less that one tenth of one percent of the fielded engines.

There is one private company trying to push their own agenda, and profits, by spreading the rumor that there is an issue with the camshaft bolts. Just take your truck to them and for around $3,000 they'll fix the problem that they can't prove exists.

If you really want to know the history of the engine you should educate yourself instead of repeating what you hear. The engine has been is service for over seven years, long before it was ever installed in a Jeep Cherokee or a Ram 1500. It was actually designed in a collaborative effort between VM Motori and General Motors for use in the European version of the Cadillac CTS, before the company was bought by FCA.

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like you should have checked your stuff get over it and move on. The dealer owes you nothing. You should have seen the mileage and questioned it then. You weren't forced to sign, the Eco diesel can be rare at dealers so anyone with an insurance card and drivers license can test drive them. Could of been a heavily test driven vehicle. Either way, it's your bad. Suck it up and drive it. 500 miles is nothing. That's barely broken in.

aheeejd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Now-a-days, I've heard stories where dealer tells/let's people take car/truck for weekend. Take family out etc. Maybe something like that happened here & that's why dealer can't explain. Just a thought.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

LISTEN UP, KIDS!!

This is EXACTLY why folks should never, EVER settle on a price, prior to seeing. ALL the way there, you mentally "OWN" the product. The Salesman does not have to do a thing but negotiate a price, to get the Customer in the door.

Once the Buyer does finally get there, They have already SOLD themselves. The Buyer has already felt the Euphoria of getting the deal 'done" and putting the whole stress ridden process behind them. The Buyer also gets to experience the giddy Anticipation of their new purchase. Not unlike when a child and KNOWING that your most desired item, will be under the tree.

All of this forces the Buyer, at the time of delivery, to accept frustrating things, which would normally be deal breakers, in the standard buying process.

Have said it, many times, price alone does not make a good deal.
This fella got his price. sure does not sound happy.