Death wobble: Class action lawsuit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
It is a sensationalized term and wouldn't surprise me it originated with a lawyer.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think that whole term, "death wobble" is highly inflammatory. Has anybody ever died from this so-called "death wobble"? Is it just some exaggerated term coined for effect? Why not call it worn out equipment, ill advised modification, poorly maintenained truck problem? Because it's not as catchy, and it won't be picked up on by some ambulance chasing types looking for a quick buck and deeper pockets.

It could easily cause you to go off the ride or into another vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
I have also never heard (doesn't mean it doesn't exist) a Ram that was 100% stock have this issue. All had wither larger wheels, tires and modifications to the suspension, and most where owners cut corners to save a buck
Agreed. If you imagine a steering knuckle as a fulcrum and add more leverage in the form of offset wheels, the road surface feedback compounds the felt effect transmitted back up the steering componentry.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
It could easily cause you to go off the ride or into another vehicle.

The effects, regardless of attribution, aren't in dispute. The larger question is cause.

OP
OP
Birddog

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
Why it's called death wobble? If anyone died from this there wouldn't be a way to let us know. Crash reports would say driver lost control of the vehicle and died from blunt force trauma. I'm guessing that the term relates to people thinking they'll die when it happens. It's never happened to me and I hope it never does but I'm sure that's the first thing I'll think if it ever does happen to me "omfg I'm gonna die!"

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why it's called death wobble? If anyone died from this there wouldn't be a way to let us know. Crash reports would say driver lost control of the vehicle and died from blunt force trauma. I'm guessing that the term relates to people thinking they'll die when it happens. It's never happened to me and I hope it never does but I'm sure that's the first thing I'll think if it ever does happen to me "omfg I'm gonna die!"

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

It's typically referred as a "death wobble" because once it happens, it's hard to figure out the cause and usually sends the vehicle to the scrap yard, to die in pieces...

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I once had something occur to me when driving a used 94 Jeep Cherokee. I had bought it at a State Surplus Auction. It had almost 200K on it, and it had been poorly maintained, but I got it for $800, so I wasn't complaining. It had this shake that happened, once, maybe it was what "they call the death wobble". I thought a tire had blown, but when I pulled over and looked at the tires they were fine, if crappy, worn, no name brand tires. So I went and bought new Michelin LT's, and Koni shocks, and never had another issue, and that was about 100K ago. That's all it took for me.

Hemipower95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Anyone experience this lately?
Little old, but look at this guy talk about a wobble

https://youtu.be/8J5WSkokN1M

Warwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
[emoji879]

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Why it's called death wobble? If anyone died from this there wouldn't be a way to let us know. ..

It's never happened to me and I hope it never does but I'm sure that's the first thing I'll think if it ever does happen to me "omfg I'm gonna die!"

Ive had the real death wobble on my 4runner. Like R/T_Fire said, its a common issue with SAS trucks that have been modded. With straight axles and especially (not specifically) leaf spring suspensions, it happens due to warn out/unbalanced parts in the suspension components or other moving parts.

Imagine driving down the interstate at 70mph, in traffic, and you're front end starts shaking violently.. you have to slow down almost to a stop and safely get off the road...all while trying to stay in your lane or fighting it to steer to the shoulder. People have died/caused accidents swerving from a plastic bag in the road. It definitely rates the title of Death Wobble.

It's basically when one side starts to wobble, then transfers to the other side of the axle, and picks up speed back and forth like a pendulum.

Lose steering arm will not cause this..that would cause a lot of slack and wobbling in the steering wheel.

To fix mine.. I started with the tie rod ends. That helped. Then I did a complete rebuild of the axles/bearings/knuckles, along with more preload on the bearings for larger tires... this helped A LOT.

Still had it at very low speeds (10-20mph). So further inspection lead me to the leaf spring bushings, they were toast. Now it drives like a Ferrari.

IFS trucks dont get death wobble. Each wheel travels independently from the other side (front), so the energy of the "wobble" isnt transfered. That would just be called "vibrations" from that cheap ass lift kit, off brand tires, wide heavy rims, 3" spacers, and lack of maintenance.

You'd be lucky to find a lifted Jeep with 35s, that doesn't get death wobble. Most people that have it, have memorized their daily commutes to the "T" and know to avoid certain dips in the road, or slow down dramatically at certain places.

Last edited:

orangerr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Dodge know the problem. They have a very unheard of recall for the issue. I had a 2010 2500 all stock with only 6000 kms on it . It started doing it and service department couldn't figure out. Took back 3 times. Finally tracked down the recall myself and gave it to them. Fixed after that.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dodge know the problem. They have a very unheard of recall for the issue. I had a 2010 2500 all stock with only 6000 kms on it . It started doing it and service department couldn't figure out. Took back 3 times. Finally tracked down the recall myself and gave it to them. Fixed after that.

Recall or technical bulletin?
TB's aren't recalls. And many trucks and 4x4's have this complaint from some customers.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
The idea of the class action is not to benefit those who already have the death wobble. It's to get the manufacturer to make parts that don't fail in future builds. The term "death wobble" is not synonymous with anyone else except Dodge /Ram. That's a problem. I didn't post the class action lawsuit to show there was a cause of action for the death wobble, it was simply an idea for a new class action.

Reply from, I'm a Tapatalk junkie

Not exactly true..."DEATH WOBBLE" terminology was used as far back as 1975...My 1975 Kawasaki 750 H2 had a "Death Wobble" at 110 mph...That's why the bike was nicknamed "The WIDOWMAKER"....

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
Not exactly true..."DEATH WOBBLE" terminology was used as far back as 1975...My 1975 Kawasaki 750 H2 had a "Death Wobble" at 110 mph...That's why the bike was nicknamed "The WIDOWMAKER"....

A coworker rode a 750ish Yamaha back in the early 90's. He had what he called a "tank-slapper" in the 80 to 90mph range. Scared the begeezus out of him.