Dented Rear Bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nicotera75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got my 2012 Ram a few weeks ago. Yesterday I backed into a fence post at my daughter's day care and dented the bumper. The dent is accessible from under the truck. Is this an easy swing of a mallet or would I need to pull the bumper off. It's nothing major, just cosmetic, but it irritates me, so would like to get it back close to correct.

Squidbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would call a paintless dent repair person out to do it. They can fix it up like it never happened. You may very well be able to do it yourself but you could end up with a bulge instead of a dent. The previous owner or the dealer did that with my truck and it's just as ugly. I'm gonna call a pro out to fix their fudge up one of these days.

Last edited:

Squidbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't know how well these still pics will show it, but it sticks out like a sore thumb while doing a walk by. The most obvious spot that shows up in the pictures is at the top where the edge rolls over. The full dent extends three inches below that point. Notice how the reflections are all wonky. This is what you get if you don't know what your doing. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432151381.341621.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1432151392.738187.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1432151404.401980.jpg

Tapatalk

Last edited:

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the same boat as you, was kinda in rush when parking at a restaurant and was playing more attention to cars next to me and BANG stop because hit the concrete holding light pole.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Following this one
have a small dent in my rear bumper too

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Is it chrome bumper, or painted? If painted, easy to fix...bodyshop can do it while bumper is still on truck. My first week in mine had a trailer accident, buddy fixed it (a painter) in about 2 hours tops...cant tell.

Squidbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it chrome bumper, or painted? If painted, easy to fix...bodyshop can do it while bumper is still on truck. My first week in mine had a trailer accident, buddy fixed it (a painter) in about 2 hours tops...cant tell.

Did he repaint it? My wife recently hit a deer, so we took it to several body shops and they all wanted to pop the dent out, fill it with body filler and repaint. It was going to cost more than just buying a new panel. So instead we are going to take it to a local paintless dent repair guy. They can fix dents regardless of whether it is painted or chrome. I'll probably be getting mine fixed at the same time.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
yes the bumber he painted and blended it. It happened right after I got it, like first 2 weeks...looks perfect, nobody could tell.

OP
OP
N

nicotera75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all of the info. I may check with one of the paintless dent places first. I will post pics of the dent over the weekend. It is a painted bumper, btw.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Ok, dunno if a PDR can do bumper, not sure, sure seems thicker, but you never know.

Good luck and let us know!

Squidbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, dunno if a PDR can do bumper, not sure, sure seems thicker, but you never know.

Good luck and let us know!

You are right. It really depends on how bad it is, and who you take it to. They do make heavier duty PDR tools. I'm sure the majority of people's dents are on body panels, so it depends on how well equipped/experienced they are. My guess is that they'll need to use a hammer and dolly. Some dents just aren't fixable, such as sharp or heavily creased dents. The metal would just be too stretched.

Anyways I'll post up pics when I get mine done.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
You are right. It really depends on how bad it is, and who you take it to. They do make heavier duty PDR tools. I'm sure the majority of people's dents are on body panels, so it depends on how well equipped/experienced they are. My guess is that they'll need to use a hammer and dolly. Some dents just aren't fixable, such as sharp or heavily creased dents. The metal would just be too stretched.

Anyways I'll post up pics when I get mine done.

Cool, hope it works out for the best, good luck! Yes, please let us know, good info.