Fueling system issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zalex820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
Hello, I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L V8 (gas) every time I get gas seems like for the past 6 or so months the gas start over filling the neck to fast. Faster then is can make it to the gas tank so in short it over fills and starts spilling. I thought there was an issue with the small tube that goes to the filler neck and made sure it was clear start to finish and still have the issue. Not sure what to do at this point. Any help would be appropriated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Z

Zalex820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
Cannot fill tank from pump have to fill 5 gallons at a time from gas can. No kinks in lines replaced fuel pump still having issue also when truck primes it looses pressure in a second and goes to 0. Replaced injectors no fuel smell or fuel puddles. No idea what else I can do?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The problem of filling the tank from the gas pump is most likely the roll-over valve in the fuel tank. It help keep the fuel in the tank in case the vehicle rolls over in an accident.
This would have nothing to do with the fuel pressure issue. Have you replaced the fuel pressure regulator?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
If you've checked the fill tube to ensure nothing is in there, i'd follow crash's suggestion and start taking a look at the rollover valve. The only way I can think to test this is to pull another line off the top of the tank, or just remove the valve completely, then go fill up. If it goes away, replace the valve, if not, i'd start looking at the filler neck right up where the little flap sits.

The fuel pressure dropping is a separate issue, if its not leaking visibly at any of the connections and you cannot smell fuel, you may have a leak where you cant see it. The pressure regulator is integrated into the fuel pump, not sure if you can buy it separately when buying a fuel pump but if you didn't replace it, thats a good bet. Otherwise, you're gonna have to access the top of that tank again and watch it to see if its leaking.

What brand of pump did you use?

OP
OP
Z

Zalex820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
The problem of filling the tank from the gas pump is most likely the roll-over valve in the fuel tank. It help keep the fuel in the tank in case the vehicle rolls over in an accident.
This would have nothing to do with the fuel pressure issue. Have you replaced the fuel pressure regulator?
Hmmmm I was hoping it wouldn't go there. From what I understand roll over valves cannot be changed unless you replace the entire tank? Have to look more into this. Thank you for suggestion.

OP
OP
Z

Zalex820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
If you've checked the fill tube to ensure nothing is in there, i'd follow crash's suggestion and start taking a look at the rollover valve. The only way I can think to test this is to pull another line off the top of the tank, or just remove the valve completely, then go fill up. If it goes away, replace the valve, if not, i'd start looking at the filler neck right up where the little flap sits.

The fuel pressure dropping is a separate issue, if its not leaking visibly at any of the connections and you cannot smell fuel, you may have a leak where you cant see it. The pressure regulator is integrated into the fuel pump, not sure if you can buy it separately when buying a fuel pump but if you didn't replace it, thats a good bet. Otherwise, you're gonna have to access the top of that tank again and watch it to see if its leaking.

What brand of pump did you use?
I didn't replace the pump myself due to not having a lift and or a straight driveway. So I wasn't able to safely drop tank. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a new pressure reg preinstalled on new pump. Not sure who pumps made by I bought the truck 4 years ago with new pump as part of purchase. However original pump lasted the 4 years and I've had this issue before for about 2 -3 months and it just randomly went away. This time it's not.