garage door width

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jabalone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm adding garage doors to my shop/garage and only have room for two 8 foot wide doors. I know the width of the Ram is 6ft 7in. which leaves 15 inches to spare or 7.5 inches each side (without folding the mirrors in). Sounds easy enough but the garage door guy says it's too tight to back out. Anyone park their truck behind an 8 foot wide garage door? Is it too tight a squeeze or is this guy just a bad driver?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 6.21.51 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 6.21.51 PM.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 694

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
theres 15" to spare. sounds like he can't drive. I have put my ram in much tighter spots that you can reach out and touch whats next to me.

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My door on the side I park in is just about 9', I have tow mirrors and I can back out but have to have one folded in.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My garage (shoebox) has an 8' door, too. Everyday I fold the drivers side mirror in as I back into the garage.

Attachments

• IMG_20140412_185909_218.jpg
    IMG_20140412_185909_218.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
OP
OP
Jabalone

Jabalone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone. I figured 8ft was wide enough. It's good to see a picture too David. I saw that on another post but didn't want to highjack it by asking how wide your door was. Awesome... I shall proceed as planned then.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone. I figured 8ft was wide enough. It's good to see a picture too David. I saw that on another post but didn't want to highjack it by asking how wide your door was. Awesome... I shall proceed as planned then.

I am sure I could get the truck in without folding in the mirror, but why risk scrapping the mirror. It's pretty easy to tuck it in at night and pop it out in the morning... uuuhhhh my mirror that is! :roflsquared:

Reaction score
Ram Year
None (yet)
Engine
None
My garage (shoebox) has an 8' door, too. Everyday I fold the drivers side mirror in as I back into the garage.

Maybe it's just the camera angle, but do you have to pull a 'Dukes of Hazzard' to get in and out? Man, that is a tight squeeze. :think:

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe it's just the camera angle, but do you have to pull a 'Dukes of Hazzard' to get in and out? Man, that is a tight squeeze. :think:

Was wondering same.

Haha! Yes, it is as tight as it looks.

My neighbors like to stand and watch because they can't believe I will get the truck inside the garage! Lol! I've got it down to the first try and I am in. :)

@Jabalone - sorry, didn't mean to jack your thread... :favorites13:

OP
OP
Jabalone

Jabalone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Jabalone - sorry, didn't mean to jack your thread... :favorites13:

Not at all... getting out of the vehicle after it's parked is an important point! I prefer to sleep inside the house. :roflsquared: As it happens, my space opens up once I'm through the door so I will have enough room that a 'Dukes' exit isn't necessary.

One time I was at this farm and some guys were debating if a truck could fit through this barn door. So my friends Dad (old German guy) took the challenge, got in the truck and drove it into the barn through the door at about 60mph. Afterwards everyone asked him; why did you drive it so fast and he said "driving slow wasn't going to make the space any bigger!". I thought that was pretty funny.

You should try parking in your garage in reverse without the mirrors folded at 60mph BUT charge admission. I'd pay to see that.:gr_grin:

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hahaha! I love it!

I would have to charge a hell of an admission, because it would be a once-in-a-lifetime event for all involved!
Plus, I'd need money for a good attorney to get me off of the manslaughter charges for when I go plowing through my neighbors apartment that is on the other side of my garage! Lol!