A Handy Bit for the Toolbox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I don't know how many have this in the toolbox but it saved me today. The bolt (new) for the clip that holds on the brake caliper broke off flush. Used a small bit to get started in the center, then a larger bit down about 3/8", then this. It bit in and it backed it right out saving the threads.
IMG_20140909_150344824.jpg

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used one on my civic. The distributer rotor screw stripped. Had to drill off the head, then drill a hole, and use the Ez-out to get it out. No damage at all to the threads... Love that tool.

Egress

Reaction score
Ram Year
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
Stock 235hp 4.7L/287 V-8
We use them on aircraft components all day long. Very handy tool to have, especially since we arent allowed to modify or elongate holes unless dispositioned and approved by engineers.

jhorst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only problem is if you have a really stubborn bolt and snap off the ez-out off in the hole...they are hardened and you can't drill those out.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use them to remove broken exhaust manifold bolts all the time. Reverse drill bits come in handy too.

joeg45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I agree I use these with left handed drill bits a lot on aircraft at work specially on screws for panels to help with the stubbern stuff i pre soak it with kroil

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another pro-tip I learned last Summer - got a bolt threaded into aluminum and it won't back out? Get a bottle torch and paraffin wax (canning supplies at your local grocery store). Heat the bolt up and press the wax onto it, reheat and press the wax onto it, reheat and press the wax onto it again, then reheat and try to unscrew it - should walk right out of the hole. The wax follows the threads and will act as a temporary lubricant while still hot and allow the bolt to come out with little effort and reduces the chances of it breaking. Just run a tap thru the hole to chase the threads before putting a new bolt in.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only problem is if you have a really stubborn bolt and snap off the ez-out off in the hole...they are hardened and you can't drill those out.

I'm the guy the mechanics bring the snapped off easy outs and snapped off reverse helix drills and an occasional stainless bolt snapped in an exhaust housing to for removal. Old carbide end mill, 4,000 rpm, air blast and feed with the knee lol.

Once the carbide is snapped in the easy out there is no going back for sure.