Hard Wire Valentine One

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MBofTexas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am not real mechanical, but I can usually hard wire my Valentine One with no worries. Realized today no in cab fuses in my 2014 Ram 1500 Express. Can someone tell me where is the best place to tie into auxiliary power under dash. If you have a picture that would be great. I noticed a bundle of wires down in door floor plastic cover. I just nervous to tie into what I don't know. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sounds like we have the same problem. I'm trying to hard wire mine in but don't know where to get power. Was thinking of getting power from the map lights or around there. Just need to locate fuse to see how big it is.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could tie into the switched 12vdc in the center console. I don't know how youd run wires to the V1 though...

I think Id prefer running the wires by the A pillar and into the headliner, that was its not visible. But like you said where can you tap power from if you go that route?

I took a VERY quick look under the wheel and dash of my truck the other day and didn't notice any cabin fuses either.

EDIT: just thinking out loud...can you tap into the overhead door controls or the rear view mirrors???? That way you could place the V1 just under your rear view.

ramenthusiast

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Crew Cab Sport
Engine
It's got a Hemi!
Be very careful where you tie into on these trucks. The CANBUS system is very sensitive to power loads on specific circuits. I found out the hard way when I tried to tap into a power wire from the A/C and suddenly the A/C controller stopped remembering settings when turning off the truck. Thankfully, it was still under warranty and the dealer was cool about it.

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'll have to poke my test light around the over head lights to see what switched power I can find. Going across the headliner and done the A pillar seems ridiculous.

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's a switched 12v source under the driver's seat; that's what I used to hard wire my V1.

Use your multimeter and poke into the wiring harness to get the right wire.

IIRC, it was like a red or pink striped wire on the top row, 2nd column of the harness.

Ground into the mounting screw of the seat - easy peasy.

2014StormTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Longhorn 4x4 2003 LY Evo VIII ER Built 2.2L
Engine
6.7 CTD / 4G63
interesting, I'm about to try and hardwire my passport max too, i got a blend mount for it

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi All,

Why not just tap off one of the always on lighter plug leads, or if you want seitched off of the switched lighter lead. The ECU , PCU has no idea what you will plug into thet socket and thus it would have no effect on it.

preachp

Last edited:

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Blendmount and mirrortap. Easiest way to do it.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I tapped my passport into my Mirror power. IIRC I just pushed the wires into the back of the plug and taped them in there and shut the little door. Worked Great. I know I read a writeup somewhere about the correct terminal to tap into.

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Picked up the mirror tap and a mount off Amazon for $60. These mirror taps are very simple to install, just need a volt meter.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The mirror tap just pushes in as stated. It was pretty easy to do. I'd have to look at it to see which ones I used. I love the blend mount as the detector is rock solid. With the newer mirror it does not go up flush against the bottom of the mirror. That was my one gripe. Still looks good.

BADXMPLE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Can you post a pick of how it looks with the blend mount to see please thank you.

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Blend mount seemed to high to me. Picked up one very similar for half the price called mirror mount on Amazon. Mirror tap was a breeze.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418668285222.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418668285222.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 72