Huff of white smoke at startup? 2015 hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fired up the wifes 2015 Charger this morning and got a BIG huff of white smoke out the exhaust. No noises, no other issues.... Just one big seafoam esque huff of white smoke...cleared up in a few seconds and off to work as normal.

has anyone elses 09+ hemi done this? Moisture in the cats from bad gas maybe?

2015 w/ 30K miles.

Yes its a charger, but i'm not on any LX forums, and its the same engine.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Did the smoke go away quick? Honestly I would just try not worry about it unless it continues or gets worse. Then I would think coolant burning.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had this issue in my wife's grand cherokee I took it in to the dealership and they came up with "water got into the muffler and it was stuck in the pipes" so at startup the water contributed to the thick white smoke that came out.
The fix was that the drained the pipes and now it's been good nothing out of the normal.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thats what i'm kind of thinking. I wasn't overly concerned, we got the 7 year warranty. I highly doubt it has a leaking head gasket already. I just wondered if this was a common issue. I was thinking water in the exhaust from condensation or bad gas also.

I will see if it does it again.

zflat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 6.4 has done it 2 maybe 3 times that I've noticed in 21k miles. The couple of times that it's happened I thought maybe I was crazy bc I caught it in my side mirror and it was already dissipating.

I haven't taken it to get looked at bc I don't want to wait for 2 hours at the dealership for them to give me the old "if we can't reproduce it we can't fix it line". I've got the extended warranty so hopefully it's nothing big.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
My 6.4 has done it 2 maybe 3 times that I've noticed in 21k miles. The couple of times that it's happened I thought maybe I was crazy bc I caught it in my side mirror and it was already dissipating.

I haven't taken it to get looked at bc I don't want to wait for 2 hours at the dealership for them to give me the old "if we can't reproduce it we can't fix it line". I've got the extended warranty so hopefully it's nothing big.

X2...Mine has done it 4 times now in just less than 20k miles....

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
didn't do it this morning, so i guess we have all discovered the "hemi huff" to go with the "hemi tick" lol