I need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anomers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, I have a 1997 1500 with the 5.9 in it & I'm having an issue with it running rough & stalling after about 20 minutes of driving. It won't start for a while afterwords & just seems to load up of fuel. I have replaced the plugs, cap, button, wires, coil and cleaned out the IAC. My exhaust is broken right above the front differential and I was wondering if this would cause the issue? ANY help would be appreciated, I've had the truck down for about 7 months trying to trouble shoot it on the cheap.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Sounds like a fuel issue to me. Sounds like your fuel pump is almost dead or you have a really plugged up fuel filter. If it was me I would see if I could get ahold of a fuel pressure gauge and test it. And the only way the exhaust would effect the way it runs would be if it's broken before the oxygen sensor giving false readings to the computer.

OP
OP
A

Anomers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome man, I'll try that this weekend.. Thank you!

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Sounds like a fuel issue to me. Sounds like your fuel pump is almost dead or you have a really plugged up fuel filter. If it was me I would see if I could get ahold of a fuel pressure gauge and test it. And the only way the exhaust would effect the way it runs would be if it's broken before the oxygen sensor giving false readings to the computer.

The exhaust being broken will make it run more sluggish due to lack of back pressure.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The exhaust being broken will make it run more sluggish due to lack of back pressure.

This is true but it shouldn't cause it to stumble and die. The way fuel injection works is the oxygen sensors reads the content of the exhaust. When a vehicle is cold the computer reverts to a standard set of fuel maps until the vehicle has warmed up then it will start making adjustments based off the readings of the oxygen sensor. So the only possible exhaust problem that would cause it to die would be if it's before the oxygen sensor and it's sucking in fresh air and giving the oxygen false readings and the computer doesn't know what fuel map to run. What seems more likely to me is when your truck gets warmed up your fuel pump is starting to get warm and it's acting up if you can get a fuel pressure gauge on it you should be in the. 45-55 psi range if it's 20 ish there is your problem.