Jack Stands on the front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey guys,
So today I jacked up the truck and put it onto jack stands to pull all the wheels off. I look at the manual's diagram (which is SO detailed) and all over online. My 3 ton stands weren't tall enough to use on the frame to get the wheels high enough off the ground so I had to come up with another spot. Looking around every mentions the lower control arm. Great! I crawl under to look real quick and was a bit confused, I see where I could put the jack stand but not where I could use the floor jack to get it up at the same time.

Ended up using the cross member, right next to the protection plate jacked up from there and then put my jack stands under the control arm as close to the wheel as I could. Well it did great! No issues at all. I'm thinking about picking up 6 ton stands for the future so I can do the frame but just curious, IS this indeed an okay way to put the truck on stands for maintenance work?
IMG_20171020_100422.jpg

GabAlmighty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've done it countless times. The only thing that is a little nerve wracking is there isn't much contact point between the jack and the control arms, especially with that style of jack. So long as everything is level'ish and you aren't reefing on and jostling the truck around; should be perfectly fine.

But still put your tire under there somewhere incase it does decide to **** off on you.

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
Think the 3 ton jack stands are ok or does he need to go bigger? I feel it’s fine but that’s kinda just a guess??

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Think the 3 ton jack stands are ok or does he need to go bigger? I feel it’s fine but that’s kinda just a guess??

3 tons is 6000lbs... Which is nearly the weight of the entire truck. So, as long as you have 3 other points of contact with the ground, each stand is only carrying 1/4 of that weight.

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
3 tons is 6000lbs... Which is nearly the weight of the entire truck. So, as long as you have 3 other points of contact with the ground, each stand is only carrying 1/4 of that weight.

Your typical “3 Ton” jack stands sold in a pair hold a combined 3 Tons. Or at-least that’s what I’ve seen on majority of brands sold locally here. Regardless, one jack stand(1.5ton stand) should be sufficient enough to hold 1/4 the truck weight.

I also usually leave my jack holding the truck and lower to the jack stand to create 2 points of contact where I’ve removed a tire. Unless of course the lifting jack is in the way of work being done but I still look for a place to put it temporarily for a backup. Block the wheels and apply the park brake unless you need the brakes released for the work being done.

Take it from a guy who lost his uncle to having a truck fall while under it. Never trust one mechanical device to save your truck or your life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Stability wise everything seemed great. I was even able to open and close the doors a few times and drop the tailgate and the truck was solid. Everyone I've talked to has used 3 ton for the 1500s with no issues I'm looking at the 6 ton simply because they are taller so I'd be able to support the frame in the front of the truck instead of the suspension.