Just got new tool chest, now need tools!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fredansandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
+1 Tryin

Buy what you can afford and add to it over time. Right after we were married 35 years ago, my wife purchased a Craftsman mechanics tool set for me. I still have most of those tools. As needed, I have added to my collection. Over the years, they add up. 35 years later and I have a garage full of tools.

I'll use HF's Pittsburgh tools if it is for something that I rarely use. For tools that get used more often, I typically go with Craftsman or Kobalt. I'm a weekend mechanic and handy man so I cannot justify the pro level tools.

When shopping for a new tool for a specific job, I justify it to myself and my wife by thinking of the $$ I am saving doing it myself.

big_red06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Bighorn
Engine
hemi 5.7
this is not exactly on the subject of what tools to buy for the op new toolbox but I myself recently bought a 5 drawer toolbox/cart from Harbor Freight. I like it and it is well built for the price IMO more than adeqaute for my needs . I was looking to organize my tools a bit better and maximize space in my toolbox . the store bought toolbox organizers did not fit very well in my new toolbox they were way to large .after doing some research online and getting some really great ideas i improvised and made my own with some black and green 1/4 in thick foam sheets from the local craft store, a marker and a really sharp razor knife.d20752cc-8473-4ade-8d65-3334185ceefa.jpgthis fun project took my son and I the better part of the day and its not the most precise cutting work ever but Im happy with the way it turned out and I was able to set the layout exactly the way i wanted it now my tools will be easier to keep track of and put back where they belong thought i would share this for others that might have run into the same issue

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would you come organize my house? My tools touch it other!
And I just bought 2 cheap torx 1/4 drives and a 1/4 drive Tekton ratchet. Borh my Craftsman's just spin 1/2 of the time. Wasn't fun repairing my garage door opener with them. Had a return at local hardware so I just bought things instead of refund. I'm using the Tekton now working on a go cart engine. I actually like the round shaft as opposed to the flat of my others. ([emoji15]). I'm going to order 5 kits to repair all !

big_red06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Bighorn
Engine
hemi 5.7
:roflsquared:Lol the reason I did this was I installed drilled and slotted rotors last week on my truck and I spent more time looking for what I needed than doing the job it was time

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know but half the time the one I need was in my back pocket the whole time[emoji5]

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks great!!!! Good idea. In my experience, the tool you need is the only one you can't find. :)
Jay

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
occasional use and do not care where made big box is fine

weekend use step up to industrial or German brands IE Wright, Proto, Armstong, SK etc

pro use see weekend use they are a far better bargain which allows you to have more tools , do not believe the stoopid hype about warranty and they come to you you pay for that service it is not free

I get paid to have the best tools that do not go down as I travel the country and world with them

I do not look at one brand to supply all my tools no company can have the best in all their lines IE my screwdrivers are usually German or Swiss, my pliers are German , my wrenches US, my hexes German and Swiss , my TQ wrenches are Japanese industrial brand , etc.

yrral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First I like tools. I have virtually all I need though. Some I've owned 50 years. If I were to start over, I would go to Harbor Freight and get one of every HAND wrench, using sales and coupons. If they work for me fine. If not I would buy Craftsman or Stanley, not Kobalt. Gearwrench is ok at Lowes, I've not had a good Kobalt yet. Nothing as good as HF even. What I've had have actually broken. Their stainless steel toolboxes are pretty low in quality also.

Cordless I buy Ryobi because I've had good luck with them and the batteries have been very good and cheaper than most. I have no corded tools from my youth, because of theft.

If I wanted to buy the best hand tools I can get, I would take a good caliper with me and try to find a brand than was oversized consistently. Maybe check a Snap-on to see how many thousands over to look for. About 3-5 I think. Maybe a little less. .002 is about the thickness of a sheet of 20 lb. computer paper. Today I find the metal in all hand tools is good, but the tolerances are not good on many.

Then I would carry them in a cloth sack or duffle and dump them on the floor or ground where I wanted to work. My old hands drop them consistently anyway. They will be easier to find on the floor. If I didn't have to walk on them I would just store them there.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone heard of Tekton? I was looking at their torque wrenches but don't know much about them.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, no, no... No Harbor Freight ANYTHING. EVER.

my 3 ton floor jack I got from them is wonderful. the only thing i got from them that I'm not a fan of is the air tools. My welder, jack, miscellaneous wood sanding tools, all have worked great for a few years now.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Over 50 years I've accumulated a wide assortment of tools. Strap-On are excellent, but you could buy 10 Craftsman wrenches for the price of one Strap-On.

I'm a little concerned that your auto-correct corrected this to Strap-On... :hmm:

:favorites13:

Anyone heard of Tekton? I was looking at their torque wrenches but don't know much about them.

I have a number of Tekton tools, and they have become my Go-To brand... Unbeatable value and quality for the price.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome looks like I'm going order a Tekton torque wrench. Is 1/2 the go to size or should I get multiple?

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome looks like I'm going order a Tekton torque wrench. Is 1/2 the go to size or should I get multiple?

Half is the go-to size. Are you getting this one? https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24340...73041514&sr=8-5&keywords=tekton+torque+wrench
OR this one
https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24335...73041514&sr=8-1&keywords=tekton+torque+wrench
??

You can always get some adapters if you need them down the road... Like these: https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-4959-...041704&sr=8-9&keywords=tekton+socket+adapters

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was thinking the first one (25-250 ft lbs), what are your thoughts?

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking the first one (25-250 ft lbs), what are your thoughts?

That is the one I have had for about a year now and it has served me very well. Not to mention it's beefy as ****! Lol. You'll be surprised by the size of that thing.

Depending on how much work you do on your suspension, there are a number of bolts/nuts that need to be tightened to 200ft lbs...

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good I will be ordering that today. I do as much work as I can, if it's above my level off to shop but I'm sure this will be used a lot.

Warwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Like that. Need to start saving some cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk