Lifted Garage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steamboat87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my truck has a 6" lift and doesn't fit into the "normal" sized garage height, by about 3-4 inches. Anyone have experience with "raising" your garage door height? When the garage is up, there is 2 1/2 feet easily to play with before the roof for most standard garages. Is it as simple as knocking out the front facia to the garage to raise it or would you have to go full new garage door setup?

Austin

curtis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Austin Im assuming you are 3-4" from making it under the header of the garage and it's not just the garage door hanging down a bit.....I would assume that it would require the header to be replaced. BUT it is not simple in anyway. First i would figure out what the header is made of....could be 2X10 butted up together. The you will need (pending where you live) an engineers letter as to what and how to replace header (size and type of lumber) they will generally even tell you what type of nails to use. Then you will need to go to the city and get a permit (thats a pain in the ass)......Better yet hire a contractor

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's just the door hanging to low you might be able to buy a extension kit for the opener to get it to open all the way. My door openings are 8 feet but the replacement opener was only for a 7 foot door so I needed the extension.

Edit: sorry read your post again. Looks like you didn't mean just the door.

magz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 E-Torque
yes it can be done, hire a good contractor if that is beyond your expertise. In my area, standard construction, plan on $3-4k

OP
OP
Steamboat87

Steamboat87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya that sounds more like what I'll have to lean towards. And to clarify it is the header that's to low. I stopped looking at that point so I'm not sure if the actual door is to low. But it's the header I was worried about mostly. Thanks all! Contractor it will be.

Austin

plainsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
I changed my 3 door garage to one double and one single and raised the double side to 8 ft. Entire job cost 5500. I wanted to get my 1500 in and out without retracting mirrors and an easier turn in. Yes, the overhead lam will have to be replaced and concrete post removed, new double door. It's pretty major but well worth it. May help reselling. A crew did mine in one long day.

jhorst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
having mine built now. I went with 9' x 9' doors just for that reason.

Martys4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Laramie 4x4 Crw
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So my truck has a 6" lift and doesn't fit into the "normal" sized garage height, by about 3-4 inches. Anyone have experience with "raising" your garage door height? When the garage is up, there is 2 1/2 feet easily to play with before the roof for most standard garages. Is it as simple as knocking out the front facia to the garage to raise it or would you have to go full new garage door setup?

Austin

I am in the process of having a 6" pro comp lift done on my 2010 Ram.
I am afraid of running into the same problem.
I have 9" of clearance right now from the garage header with the truck stock.
If possible can you advise how high your garage header is from the ground?
How tall is your truck now ?
:favorites13:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01