Making simple upgrades while under warranty without voiding it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess right here is as good as any place to start this little thread but, have any of you guys done any slight modifications like an aftermarket Cold Air Intake, or maybe a bolt-on, cat-back exhaust while under your factory warranty?

To be honest, I’m now kind of hesitant to do anything like this while being under that 3-year, 36,000-mile warranty period when I get my new truck because after what I had heard the other day from a service advisor. He said that even though minor modifications typically won’t necessarily void warranty’s, he had me worried when he said that basically if anything happens that requires a warranty claim that the shop thinks was in direct relation with said modifications, that it could possibly cause Chrysler to deny your claim which, is kind of ****** because it’s kinda like they are daring you to do a modification and “hope” that nothing ever happens as to avoid a possible claim denial...lol.

What’s funny is that they said that I could on put a Mopar brand CAI that would be fine, even if I put it on myself.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an intake and a muffler swap... They serviced my vehicle without any problems while I was under warranty. That being said my stock warranty just expired but I have the Chrysler lifetime warranty though and I am not to concerned. Im actually about to replace the front shocks with the 5100's so its level.

Just remember any dealer can be a pain about aftermarket mods but they have to prove that the aftermarket modification was the reason you have a problem. Don't stress enjoy your truck.

I just think its funny that you drive by dealers these days and they say that our trucks can "void warranty" when their display truck is all jacked up with big tires and heavily modded. You think to yourself "yeaaa thats not stock" lol

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an intake and a muffler swap... They serviced my vehicle without any problems while I was under warranty. That being said my stock warranty just expired but I have the Chrysler lifetime warranty though and I am not to concerned. Im actually about to replace the front shocks with the 5100's so its level.

Just remember any dealer can be a pain about aftermarket mods but they have to prove that the aftermarket modification was the reason you have a problem. Don't stress enjoy your truck.

I just think its funny that you drive by dealers these days and they say that our trucks can "void warranty" when their display truck is all jacked up with big tires and heavily modded. You think to yourself "yeaaa thats not stock" lol

Unless I had a deleted CTD or something, I’m not too worried about a dealership caring or even saying anything about any slight mods, I’m just more/less concerned with the possibility of having a warranty claim denied in the event if something like that ever came up. Let’s face it, manufacturers don’t like paying for repairs and it just seems to me like they’d do anything they can to get out of paying for a warranty item. I dunno, maybe I’m just being paranoid. Honestly I can’t see what possible repairs could be directly related to an aftermarket intake, a little bit louder muffler and some new bolt-on plumbing but I’ve heard nasty horror stories as well.

How much did your extended warranty cost?

But yeah, I can understand where yer coming from about the lifted models and such from the factory but unfortunately their defense would be is that those vehicles were “designed” that way...lol. The manufacturer put all that on, not you. lol. If something happens, they can’t blame you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, anyone else taking a chance with minor upgrades on a new truck?...lol.

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The whole reason Chrysler reduced their warranty coverage is because of cash. Warranty is expensive for a manufacture and when the majority of consumers don’t care about length of warranty they can lower the coverage. Also, they will attempt to look for reasons to deny your claim but they have to “prove” that the modification directly resulted the malfunction so the burden of proof is on them, no matter what they say. There’s case law specifically covering this issue with mods and warranty. I believe it’s Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

Also, I bought the lifetime warranty on my truck as well. Got it through Clay, it was around $2700 vs the $4,000 the dealer quoted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The whole reason Chrysler reduced their warranty coverage is because of cash. Warranty is expensive for a manufacture and when the majority of consumers don’t care about length of warranty they can lower the coverage.
Yeah, I was gonna say, seems like I remember the warranty’s years ago being a lot longer for new vehicles as opposed to what they are now. I figured the bumper to bumper warranty would be a lot longer than 36,000 miles. Some people could rack that kind of mileage up in little less than two years.

Also, they will attempt to look for reasons to deny your claim but they have to “prove” that the modification directly resulted the malfunction so the burden of proof is on them, no matter what they say.
Yeah, but how hard are they actually going to try to prove that said modification caused the reason for the claim, though? That’s what I’m concerned with, especially if I choose to go with that lifetime warranty. Seems to me that it would be in their best interest to try as they might to the point of it pretty much being my word against theirs. I dunno. Again, I may just be being overly paranoid.

There’s case law specifically covering this issue with mods and warranty. I believe it’s Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.
You are correct, but that only means that the manufacturer has to actually make it look like they “proved” something, rather than just not do anything at all just because you replaced a factory part with an aftermarket one.

Also, I bought the lifetime warranty on my truck as well. Got it through Clay, it was around $2700 vs the $4,000 the dealer quoted.

That’s not bad. I would really like to jump on that. But now that you have a lifetime warranty, what if you wanted to say, lift it for example and stuff big tires under it? Put a cam in the motor, maybe even stuff a little forced air down it’s throat? I’m not wanting to do all that, I’m just simply wanting to add a cold air intake and possibly a bolt on exhaust but, wouldn’t them other mods cause an issue or two with the warranty department if for example, if you scatter a transmission? Yes, that would be a lot more of a reason for them to deny a warranty claim but how do you protect yourself from the dealer service department if all the sudden they say something like, your cold air intake wasn’t installed correctly or, that bolt on exhaust kit changed the back pressure and did something to the motor? I know it’s BS but how would you prove them wrong?

Again, pardon my paranoia but these are all feasible concerns to have. I’m not wanting to go crazy with my truck but I’d sure like it to breathe a little easier... sound a little louder and throatier out the exhaust but I don’t want to have to worry about fighting with the dealer or manufacturer about a warranty claim in the future, that could happen.

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I completely understand your paranoia, I share it for sure. I bought the lifetime warranty with very little intention of adding many mods. I read thru the contract and your right, putting a cam in the engine would definitely mess it up the warranty.

The forced air intake however, if it’s the mopar version would actually be covered under the warranty.

I mean, I know there’s at least one thread going on right now where the truck needs a new engine under warranty and they are making him jump through hoops to get it, he doesn’t have any mods from what I gather, it’s maintenance records.

Morale of the story there is, they’ll get you one way or another. Just gotta stick to your guns and be persistent!

Also, the warranty specified the lift you can put, but a certified dealer has to do the work. I can’t remember the exact covered height, but it’s not much.

Your best bet to avoid most problems with warranty issues is let the dealer do the work. That’s what I get from reading the warranty paperwork.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I completely understand your paranoia, I share it for sure. I bought the lifetime warranty with very little intention of adding many mods. I read thru the contract and your right, putting a cam in the engine would definitely mess it up the warranty.
I figured something like that would, I was just using the lift, big tires, cam and an aftermarket, probably self-installed forced air system being scenario examples of why someone probably should be denied a claim, not by something as simple and harmless as a different air filter in a less-restrictive tube and a less-restrictive muffler, and some new pipe.....lol.

The forced air intake however, if it’s the mopar version would actually be covered under the warranty.
And see, that’s kinda like what that service writer the other day told me. He said that if I’m wanting a new CAI, I could go with the Mopar one, could even put it on myself and it would be covered.... granted, if it was installed correctly...lol.

Which I wouldn’t mind going that route but as far as a Mopar brand cat-back exhaust system, maybe the dealership will know of something else because on Mopar’s website, they don’t have any exhaust kits for as far back as a 2016 Ram 1500. Not that I saw, anyways.

I mean, I know there’s at least one thread going on right now where the truck needs a new engine under warranty and they are making him jump through hoops to get it, he doesn’t have any mods from what I gather, it’s maintenance records.
Yeah, I read somewhere else, mighta been on here that maintenance records are very important for stuff like that. It goes against my mechanical nature but at least for a very long time, it’s almost not even worth the risk to do your own oil changes anymore, on a new vehicle under warranty. Which sucks because I love doing my own oil changes. I don’t rush through it and try to get it done in record time every time like some damn Walmart or Quicklube.

Morale of the story there is, they’ll get you one way or another. Just gotta stick to your guns and be persistent!
Oh yeah, tell me about it. lol. They don’t want to pay for repairs anyway. Costs them too much money. It actually makes sense for them to not spare any possible chance of getting out of fixing someone’s vehicle.

Also, the warranty specified the lift you can put, but a certified dealer has to do the work. I can’t remember the exact covered height, but it’s not much
I, myself probably wouldn’t want to tackle a job such as a lift but either way, I’d say it was worth it to let a dealer put something like that on. Then they can’t say you did something wrong.

Your best bet to avoid most problems with warranty issues is let the dealer do the work. That’s what I get from reading the warranty paperwork.

So if I decided to go with a K&N CAI and a Flowmaster exhaust kit, I’d be better off to take all those parts to the dealer to let them install it? Would they even touch aftermarket stuff or are we just talking about Mopar brand stuff?

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anybody do their own oil/spark plug changes(given if they aren’t too hard and time-consuming like mine)? Does anybody go straight to synthetic oil, or non-OEM brand oil filter?

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So if I decided to go with a K&N CAI and a Flowmaster exhaust kit, I’d be better off to take all those parts to the dealer to let them install it? Would they even touch aftermarket stuff or are we just talking about Mopar brand stuff?

I'd think you be limited to the MOPAR aftermarket stuff to keep from possible warranty problems.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd think you be limited to the MOPAR aftermarket stuff to keep from possible warranty problems.

That’s kinda what it sounded like at first but then they also made it sound like as long as whatever part, aftermarket or same brand, was installed correctly and not directly causing whatever problem it was that, you’d be ok.

They sure are doing a great job of confusing me, that’s for sure. Almost to the point of me just saying the heck with it and leaving the damn thing alone because it ain’t worth it.. lol.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s kinda what it sounded like at first but then they also made it sound like as long as whatever part, aftermarket or same brand, was installed correctly and not directly causing whatever problem it was that, you’d be ok.

They sure are doing a great job of confusing me, that’s for sure. Almost to the point of me just saying the heck with it and leaving the damn thing alone because it ain’t worth it.. lol.

Aftermarket parts won't void the warranty either, it's just that if that part is what causes the problem then it will basically void the warranty for the repair..... most bolt on stuff you would almost never have a problem with unless maybe you installed it incorrectly. Now if you installed an aftermarket cam and then you have a problem with the valve train then that would more then likely void the warranty on the valve train and related components.

MOPAR aftermarket parts usually have a 12/12,000 mile warranty and would not void your trucks factory warranty.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aftermarket parts won't void the warranty either, it's just that if that part is what causes the problem then it will basically void the warranty for the repair..... most bolt on stuff you would almost never have a problem with unless maybe you installed it incorrectly.

Yeah and see that’s pretty much what I️ was told. Was told that, but subliminally also being told to be aware of and to not be surprised if someday I️ ever had a future problem that they could say It’s because of the aftermarket part, or factory part that was taken off and replaced with some other part that wasn’t tested and designed around what’s being warrantied.

But thats why on one hand that I️ don’t feel too worried about them saying a bolt-on CAI or cat-back exhaust system would ever cause a problem as long as it was installed properly but on the other hand tho, maybe I’m just suffering from the “first-time, new car-buyer” jitters and worrying too much into it. Lol.

Now if you installed an aftermarket cam and then you have a problem with the valve train then that would more then likely void the warranty on the valve train and related components.
Oh yeah, I️ never doubted specific mods causing an issue that damn-well would cause you to have a really bad day at the dealership but I️ don’t doubt for one second that like, if I️ took my new truck I’m for its first oils change or so, I️ really don’t think the the tech will blow a head gasket and be callin’ the manager just because he looked back towards the rear of my truck and saw the word “Flowmaster” on my muffler and then really freak out and be callin’ up the Pentagon, The White House and the National Guard when he looks under the hood and sees the Hemi Hat gone and different, exposed air filter put on..lol.

MOPAR aftermarket parts usually have a 12/12,000 mile warranty and would not void your trucks factory warranty.

But is that only if they put it on?

Last edited:

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nope, from the dealership I buy from I was told it's 12/12,000 warranty from the date of purchase, doesn't matter who installed it.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope, from the dealership I buy from I was told it's 12/12,000 warranty from the date of purchase, doesn't matter who installed it.

I️ guess maybe I️ should have underlined that last part about affecting the truck’s factory warranty if they put it on or if the customer put it on.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anybody do their own oil/spark plug changes(given if they aren’t too hard and time-consuming like mine)? Does anybody go straight to synthetic oil, or non-OEM brand oil filter?

I do. I go to the dealer for warranty work only. We have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler and the dealer did the first two oil changes (they were free) after having to clean up spilled oil both times it never went back for another. I do use the OEM filters but don't run 5W-20 in either the truck or the Jeep since it is water. Both get synthetic. The truck was switched to synthetic just under 3000 miles.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do. I go to the dealer for warranty work only. We have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler and the dealer did the first two oil changes (they were free) after having to clean up spilled oil both times it never went back for another. I do use the OEM filters but don't run 5W-20 in either the truck or the Jeep since it is water. Both get synthetic. The truck was switched to synthetic just under 3000 miles.

So I take it you just save your receipts and all for proof of maintenance just to protect yourself from future possible denials of warranty work and such so they can’t come back on you saying you didn’t properly maintain the truck? That’s what I would plan to do because I’d like to do the oil changes myself but I don’t wanna like, have to feel like someday I’d have to go hire ole Johnny Cochran to prove i was maintaining the truck since I️ was doing it myself...lol.

How come you don’t run 5w-20? I’m not sure about the Jeep since I’ve never owned one and, maybe things have changed between your 2017 Ram oil requirements but I was told my ‘08 Ram Hemi with the MDS needed 5w-20 so the MDS could work properly. I dunno, ever since after the first couple years owning it I probably coulda ran a thicker oil because i had that MDS **** turned off but that’s all I’ve ever ran in mine.

Do you run OEM oil filters for a specific reason? I really like that K&N oil filter but I’m not sure how the warranty department would respond to that in the future if that bridge ever came up. I don’t think they would disprove of the synthetic oil, tho.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I take it you just save your receipts and all for proof of maintenance just to protect yourself from future possible denials of warranty work and such so they can’t come back on you saying you didn’t properly maintain the truck? That’s what I would plan to do because I’d like to do the oil changes myself but I don’t wanna like, have to feel like someday I’d have to go hire ole Johnny Cochran to prove i was maintaining the truck since I️ was doing it myself...lol.

How come you don’t run 5w-20? I’m not sure about the Jeep since I’ve never owned one and, maybe things have changed between your 2017 Ram oil requirements but I was told my ‘08 Ram Hemi with the MDS needed 5w-20 so the MDS could work properly. I dunno, ever since after the first couple years owning it I probably coulda ran a thicker oil because i had that MDS **** turned off but that’s all I’ve ever ran in mine.

Do you run OEM oil filters for a specific reason? I really like that K&N oil filter but I’m not sure how the warranty department would respond to that in the future if that bridge ever came up. I don’t think they would disprove of the synthetic oil, tho.

5W-20 oils were designed to meet standards for CAFE and while they are adequate they are not designed for engine longevity. That being said many people have logged a ton of miles using 5W-20. I prefer a 30 weight oil over a 20 and many guys on this board are running 5W-30 in their 5.7 with no issues some have even run 0W-40 with no noticeable effect on the MDS. I am running a mix of 4 PUP 5w-20 and 3 PUP 0W-40 for a weight in the area of 3W-28 and will probably run more 0W-40 on my next OCI. The PUP 0W-40 was specifically designed for the 6.4 Hemi and is a pretty dam good oil. If they made the PUP 5W-30 with the same formula I would run that.

I run an OEM filter only because a few guys on the Jeep Wrangler site I belong too had FCA deny coverage for not running an OEM filter. It is a hassle I don't want at this time.

I have always kept my bills (for anything vehicle related) and write down dates and mileage for oil changes. The manufacturer and the dealer want you to use the dealer for all service. They have all been getting pissy over the last several years about people who prefer to do their own work and have been making it their priority to find ways of denying warranty claims, so doing your own work under warranty is a risk. Honestly it has gotten so bad that this truck could be the last brand new vehicle I will ever buy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5W-20 oils were designed to meet standards for CAFE and while they are adequate they are not designed for engine longevity. That being said many people have logged a ton of miles using 5W-20. I prefer a 30 weight oil over a 20 and many guys on this board are running 5W-30 in their 5.7 with no issues some have even run 0W-40 with no noticeable effect on the MDS. I am running a mix of 4 PUP 5w-20 and 3 PUP 0W-40 for a weight in the area of 3W-28 and will probably run more 0W-40 on my next OCI. The PUP 0W-40 was specifically designed for the 6.4 Hemi and is a pretty dam good oil. If they made the PUP 5W-30 with the same formula I would run that.
I guess that could just be a thing of the past about the MDS needing a specific weight of oil to work right. Maybe things have changed in the last ten years but I’ll probably just end up using what the manual says to run. At least that way if something does happen, they can’t come back on me saying I️ didn’t use the right oil.

But when you say you run a 30-weight, you are referring to 5w-30, right? Or 10w-30? I really don’t think there’s all that much difference between 5-30 and 5-20 and as a matter of fact years ago when I worked at a Firestone tire shop that did oil changes and such, anytime a car came in needing service that called for 5-20, we just put in 5-30 and called it good.

I run an OEM filter only because a few guys on the Jeep Wrangler site I belong too had FCA deny coverage for not running an OEM filter. It is a hassle I don't want at this time.
Ok so, I️ take it this applies to your Ram as well? I got nothin’ against the Mopar-brand filters, I’ve just always preferred the, what would seem to me as the better quality oil filters for extended change intervals and well, that molded bolt on the bottom of a K&N filter just makes it so much easier to spin off. lol. But then again like on my truck for example, if it says 6,000 mile intervals you know, as long as you’re not doing excessive towing, idling, running up and down a bunch of dirt roads and such, I would hope that the Mopar oil filter that it calls for would be alright for that many miles.

I have always kept my bills (for anything vehicle related) and write down dates and mileage for oil changes. The manufacturer and the dealer want you to use the dealer for all service. They have all been getting pissy over the last several years about people who prefer to do their own work and have been making it their priority to find ways of denying warranty claims, so doing your own work under warranty is a risk. Honestly it has gotten so bad that this truck could be the last brand new vehicle I will ever buy.

Yeah, that’s kinda what I’m afraid of. I may just continue doing my own oil changes just despite all that. Besides- I haven’t gotten an oil change at a dealer in like, forever so I don’t know how their work compares to like a quicklube or something but i assure you, I do a much better job probly than any shop around, primarily because I don’t try to get it done in record time so, they’d probably be better off, anyways with me doing it.

I hear ya about not really wanting to buy another brand-new vehicle ever again because of how pissy the warranty people have seem to have gotten. Quite frankly I wish I could have had the opportunity along time ago to have bought a new vehicle, probably long before these damn things have gotten this technical making warranty claims a whole lot more complex and expensive but now is when I finally have the chance to do it. That’s why I’m going pretty much all out and getting something exactly to my likings so that who knows, this may end up being the only new vehicle I ever buy.

I guess I don’t have to buy new but I just want a vehicle that no one has ever owned. Been burned too much with used ones. A couple of years ago through Carfax after I got that driver-side airbag recall dealt with, I found out that my truck had been in an accident which pissed me off. Lol.

Oh well, I’ll probably just end up leaving my new truck stock at least while it’s under the initial warranty, just in case. As far as the oil changes? Well, I dunno. I just can’t wrap my mind around paying someone to do that. Lol.

fljab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a new truck and going through the same decisions on what mods I want to do and how. So far other than a full tint job and other appearance/non mechanical, I have not done anything. I don't have extended warranty but they did throw in a limited maintenance contract which is mainly the first 7 oil changes.

I'm wanting to lower it, change the wheels/tires, and put in some decent gears - 3.92 LS vs the stock 3.21 open. Per the service person, the gears regardless of who does it, would void the warranty because of going into the control module to correct the speedo.

I agree, this will probably be my last new truck, just too much of a pita dealing with these people. But, here I am in this situation and don't want to necessarily void the warranty if I can help it. Maybe just do the things that I know won't interfere and start shelving parts for later.