New garage door help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Anyone have any experience with metal roll up doors for garages? How secure are the?

I'm putting on an addition to my work shop and the addition has 4 8x10 doors and I'd like to use one of these roll up doors so it doesn't eat up "ceiling space". I need all that for my car lift. Roll Up Doors Direct - Rollup Custom Steel Door at Affordable Prices

I guess my main concern is security. As long as they're as secure (minus the emergency release break in method) as the typical quality metal segmented garage door, I'd be happy.

Any help appreciated. Incidentally, once the addition is completed, I will officially have 400 more sq ft in garage floor area than house area :)

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
These are used all over every major city in the US. They use these on the outside (retrofitted) over windows and doors to prevent people from breaking in. If used on the outside the top part that rolls up the door fits in a box.

I would use them, they are secure, they just don't look as good from the outside as a traditional garage door.

See what I'm talking about on the outside of this picture:

Inner-Slide-StoreSafe.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
These are used all over every major city in the US. They use these on the outside (retrofitted) over windows and doors to prevent people from breaking in. If used on the outside the top part that rolls up the door fits in a box.

I would use them, they are secure, they just don't look as good from the outside as a traditional garage door.

See what I'm talking about on the outside of this picture:

Inner-Slide-StoreSafe.jpg

Thanks for the in put. Yeah, being from New York, I'm familiar with the storefront version. I just didn't know based on the specs of the material if these were at a minimum as sturdy as garage doors. I'm sure they're not as thick as the commercial version. They're about $1200 or so a piece so I just didn't want to drop cash for 4 of them and end up with bad doors.

Its sad I have to be so paranoid these days but hate to say, crime is going up around here and I would love to keep my tools and toys a bit longer. My co worker who lives not too far from me had his just restored 1967 Dodge Polara stolen from his work shop after they pryed open a wood barn style door. Wrapped the poor car around a utility pole a ways down the road.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the in put. Yeah, being from New York, I'm familiar with the storefront version. I just didn't know based on the specs of the material if these were at a minimum as sturdy as garage doors. I'm sure they're not as thick as the commercial version. They're about $1200 or so a piece so I just didn't want to drop cash for 4 of them and end up with bad doors.

Its sad I have to be so paranoid these days but hate to say, crime is going up around here and I would love to keep my tools and toys a bit longer. My co worker who lives not too far from me had his just restored 1967 Dodge Polara stolen from his work shop after they pryed open a wood barn style door. Wrapped the poor car around a utility pole a ways down the road.

I think they are more secure. Every mechanics garage around here uses them (in the industrial part of tow ). Traditional garage doors only make 1 or 2 contact points per horizontal piece, those doors a almost completely in the tracks. Even the shops that don't have them roll up use the similar style door.

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That was my suspicion since they smaller slats all run on a continuous track. In the end, if someone really wants to get in they will, I just want to make them work for it. Thanks again. I'll probably be going with the roll up doors.