Oil shelf life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Quick question, I was walking through the store yesterday and discovered they have a rebate on mobile 1 right now. $15 for a 5qt jug, best price I think I've ever seen. Just changed the oil last week but this is to good to pass up. If I buy it now is there any reason to believe it wouldn't be good in 6months? All 3 of my vehicles run the same weight of oil so there's some pretty big savings.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I stock up on deals like this. Sometimes buying two or three oil changes worth. I'm not an expert, but un-used oil in a sealed can should be fine for a few years. Google it and many say the same thing.

Last edited:

A05GSHO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I agree, sealed it will last a long time.

So where is this for $15?

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Per Mobile, sealed motor oil should have a standard shelf life of 5 years

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Per Mobile, sealed motor oil should have a standard shelf life of 5 years

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

That's the number I'm familiar with,,, 5 yrs.

Also have been told, 'cold' storage can be worse for paraffins than 'warm' storage. (If you oil contains paraffin's)

SouthShoreRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
it was in the ground for a few million years, it will be fine on your shelf for a while.

i have run oil over 10 years old with no issues. in my beater scrap truck i have been running used oil in it for the last 2 years with no issues (it burns a lot so i just keep adding).

i think folks really over think their oil. just match the recommended weight and make sure its at the right level and you will be fine.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modern oils are a combination of ingredients,,, That combination can change with time/temp. While I believe a 5 yr shelf life when properly stored is pretty safe, I'm not going to go out of my way to exceed 5 yrs. I've already got quart containers that are changing colors after ~3~ yrs. =)

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It'll be fine. We store 9250 oil in storage tanks that are vented on board ship.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
oil will not go bad...The additive package might but even then i doubt it....Does air go bad if its not used??
Im just wondering why people stock oil at home for 5 yrs..Hell even if you change it earlier than called for,its not gonna hurt anything...As far as i know there is NOOO best before date on oil,if there is,dont buy that brand..