Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram General Forum > Garage

Garage

Parts store stories

This is a discussion on Parts store stories within the Garage forums, part of the Dodge Ram General Forum category!
Anyone have any funny stories from dealing with parts stores. I'll go first. I was in a certain parts store ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By BigBlue05
  • 1 Post By averageguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2017, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2005
Engine: 5.7 HEMI
Default Parts store stories
Anyone have any funny stories from dealing with parts stores.
I'll go first.

I was in a certain parts store buying windshield wipers. Guy behind the desk asks if he can help. Tell him what I need he puts my info in year make model etc. Then proceeds to ask if it 2 or 4 wheel drive. Look at him seriously and as if it made a difference and if the the 4x4 ones had mud grips.
Mpgrimm2 and Markcuda like this.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
BigBlue05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2011
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Every time I walk into one....

Pretty much anytime I would go in getting parts for an old 85 CJ I had... it was a 85 CJ with a 99 Vortec 4.3L / 4l65E, Dana 60 rear with Exporer disk brakes, a J20 Dana 44 up front, and all custom from there... it would make the parts guys head spin cause he didn't know what to put in the computer to find what parts I needed.

But still any other time.... Like yesterday I had a guy tell me not to use high temp engine paint cause it is harder and will crack.... Uh what.....?

2011 R/T - Motor: Diablo T-1000 w/ hemifever, Vararam intake - Susp: Beltech 3/5 drop, hellwig swabars front/rear with adjustable links, full Spohn adjustable rear components. stock r/t wheels and rubber
14.62 1/4 baseline low 12's current goal
R/T_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 3.6
Originally Posted by BigBlue05 View Post
Anyone have any funny stories from dealing with parts stores.
I'll go first.

I was in a certain parts store buying windshield wipers. Guy behind the desk asks if he can help. Tell him what I need he puts my info in year make model etc. Then proceeds to ask if it 2 or 4 wheel drive. Look at him seriously and as if it made a difference and if the the 4x4 ones had mud grips.
I worked at a local O Reilly's for a few years part time and like most parts stores everyone there does know a lot about vehicles. The computer parts program make you ask/enter those kind of questions even for some things that don't matter. They don't always know that it doesn't matter if a truck is 2 or 4 wheel drive for things like wipers, bulbs, etc.

Weathertech Floor Liner, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Weathertech Molded Mud Flaps, Line X Spray In Liner, Ionic Gladiator Running Boards, Extang Black Max Tonneau Cover, LEDglow Tailgate Bar, Moe's 5" Tips, Lund Bull Bar, Clazzio Custom Leather Seat Covers MOPAR CAI
stimpy433 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012 ram 2500
Engine: hemi
every single time i walk into a canadian tire.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2005
Engine: 5.7 HEMI
Just yesterday I was in a parts store buy brakes a caliper and a rotor. The guy asked all my info. Get ready to check out and he proceeds to ask me if in was working on a car or a truck!
BigBlue05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
Haven't really had any personal issues I can remember but my best friend growing up worked at O'Reilly's as a manager and he told me a customer came in once and asked him for a 710 cap (Seven Ten). He looked at the guy perplexed, then realized that 710 flipped over is OIL... Some people are just not very bright.

2016 RAM 1500 QC 4x4 Big Horn 5.7L Hemi. MODS: 3.92 Gears, LSD, LED Conversion, Lund Genesis Tonneau, Linex'd, EGR Vent Visors, CAF Mod, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Stubby Antenna, Winblink LED Tailgate Bar, Huskyliner Weatherbeaters, Magnaflow 14" Exhaust, 3M Vinyl Wrapped Grille, Debadged, Black Grille and Tailgate Emblems, .75 Cent Mod, Pedal Commander.
shibby927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: hemi
I've had a lot of pieced together vehicles over the years and learned to ask for the part for the vehicle it is from not the vehicle it is on so their head doesn't explode. A friend worked at an auto parts store and a customer keep telling him his car was a Pontiac Goolee. He finally says, lets go have a look sir. It was a Pontiac 6000 LE. Goolee is how he read it.
BigBlue05 likes this.
averageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2017
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Originally Posted by stimpy433 View Post
I worked at a local O Reilly's for a few years part time and like most parts stores everyone there does know a lot about vehicles. The computer parts program make you ask/enter those kind of questions even for some things that don't matter. They don't always know that it doesn't matter if a truck is 2 or 4 wheel drive for things like wipers, bulbs, etc.
I currently work at another chain parts store and this is correct. Computers are supposed to help but sometimes they just complicate the most simple task. Then to top it of the computer geeks decide that we need a new program on the computer, instead of developing a complete new program they just design an add on that sort of works with the other one. Went to work one day and according to the computer we didn't have one part in the store, nothing. We could look up part numbers and then go look on the shelf to see if we had it or not. Its all good when it works.
Ramnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote