Pop Quiz 4 - The Hardest One Yet...HINT ADDED.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dakota SXT
Engine
3.7L
Although I wasn't personally involved in this one, it's too good not to post up. The cause eluded the technicians involved, tech support, the regional technical advisor and even Chryslers engineers. During the final test drive on the day Chrysler bought this vehicle back, the problem was finally duplicated and the cause was immediately found.

The vehicle was a 2004 midline Caravan with a 3.8L engine and 41TE transmission. We'll call the owners Mr. & Mrs. Smith for our purposes and Mrs. Smith was the primary driver.

The problem - Mrs. Smith reported that the vehicle would shut off under medium or hard braking. It would immediately restart and run fine until another similar stop was performed and then it would die again. The van never failed to restart.

Mr. Smith brought the van in to be diagnosed and repaired. After several test drives, the problem could not be duplicated. The technician checked the PCM and other modules for codes and none were ever found. The vehicle was returned to Mr. Smith and he went on his way. A couple of weeks later Mr. Smith was back reporting the same issue. Wiring was checked for intermittent problems and more test drives were performed and still the problem couldn't be duplicated. At this point STAR (Chrysler technical support) becomes involved and they advise the technician about things to check regarding potential wiring problems again but he finds no problems. Mr. Smith takes the van home.

Visit number three - Again, the problem can't be duplicated and STAR advises the replacement of several components such as the ignition switch and PCM. The van is again sent home with Mr. Smith.

Mr. Smith is back again with the same problem. It's discovered at this time that it's never happened to Mr. Smith. Not surprsingly, the problem can't be duplicated.

Fast forward to the day of the buyback. Our regional tech advisor, John, wants to take one last test drive. He hops in the passenger side with Mrs. Smith driving. This time under a hard stop the vehicle shuts off and John immediately finds the problem. What do you think it was?

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Her but was lifting off the seat triggering the safety switch...holy crap that is a tough one

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
She is over weight or under weight .

OP
OP
RamTech

RamTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dakota SXT
Engine
3.7L
HINT: If Mrs. Smith had brought the van in for service herself, the problem could have been duplicated and found even without her along for a test drive.

tmerritt530

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
287 ci
Her purse hanging on the shift column shifted throwing it in reverse.

Sent from the palm of my hand

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
She freaked out when braking hard and turned the key off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmerritt530

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
287 ci
Run low on fuel and got an air pocket?

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a woman driving....... Of course its gonna break! Lol jk!
Proven fact that men drive better than the opposite sex! Jk
Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Something with her seat controls shorting out and making it shut off

OP
OP
RamTech

RamTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dakota SXT
Engine
3.7L
Run low on fuel and got an air pocket?

Nope. This theory makes sense to a point. Keep in mind that the vehicle was in several times and the odds of it being low on fuel each time are pretty slim.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
She had big breast

OP
OP
RamTech

RamTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dakota SXT
Engine
3.7L
If Tanner and Eddie put their heads together, they may figure it out.

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
She was driving with two feet and while braking she was hitting the accelerator at the same time? Causing a safety feature to kick in?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
She didnt have any gas in it duh ... dumb blonde