Pop Quiz 4 Answer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dakota SXT
Engine
3.7L
I would have bet my forum membership that nobody would have figured this one out (good thing I didn't, huh)? Then again I didn't count on Paris bringing in a ringer like her husband, Scott.

The culprit was the 3+ pounds of keys, keychains and other junk on the key ring. When a hard stop was performed, the keys flew forward and switched off the ignition. This is why the problem couldnt be duplicated when Mr. Smith brought the van in - his key ring was much lighter.

joetama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Understandable, but who carries that much crap on their keychain?

My brother... We think he's secretly a janitor serial killer and keys are his trophy.

He keeps them on a carabiner though so no mass in the ignition.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've never heard of a bunch of keys causing one to turn the key off. Just causing increased wear on the lock cylinder from the weight

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RamTech

RamTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dakota SXT
Engine
3.7L
I've never heard of a bunch of keys causing one to turn the key off. Just causing increased wear on the lock cylinder from the weight

That's a fairly common problem when aluminum tumblers are used in the lock cylinder. Brass tumblers are far less suceptible.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I broke my wife of that habit when we first met. I've always had my truck key and house key on one ring and everything else on another

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
That's amazing